Subject: Review: Beyond the Gates by Catherine Wells

From: "Aaron M. Renn" <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jul 1999 18:00:46 -0400

Beyond the Gates by Catherine Wells
	Review Copyright (c) 1999 Aaron M. Renn

Conclusion:  Don't bother

I try to buy random new SF in an attempt to discover new authors and
novels I might like.  This was one such purchase and unfortunately I'll
have to chalk it up as a failed experiment.

Dray's Planet was settled by a religious order of Indian or Middle Eastern
origin that allows little traffic with outsiders.  However, when a
scientific expedition discovers a creature that should not exist there, a
rich patron of the university arranges for an outsider to be allowed on
planet to help with the investigation.  However, hot on his heels is a
rival scientist sponsored by another rich merchant eager for glory.

This storyline is pretty unambitious and Wells does little to make up for
that.  The rivalries and other interactions between the characters that
really formed the heart of the book didn't impress me.  The religion of
the inhabitants of Dray's Planet - another major plot element - was
likewise uninteresting and unoriginal.  There's basically nothing in this
book to excite or engage the reader.  It's not poorly written, but the
premise and story are weak and Wells probably should have done this one as
a short story or not written it at all.

%A Wells, Catherine
%T Beyond the Gates
%I New American Library/Roc
%D 1999-06
%G ISBN 0-451-45696-3
%P 342 pp.
%O mass market paperback, US$6.99 C$8.99

Aaron M. Renn ([email-masked]) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/