Subject: CROSSTIME TRAFFIC by Lawrence Watt-Evans

From: [email-masked] (Evelyn C Leeper +1 908 957 2070)
Date: 26 Nov 92 03:55:00 GMT

CROSSTIME TRAFFIC by Lawrence Watt-Evans
                     A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper
		      Copyright 1992 Evelyn C. Leeper

     Although the blurb says, "When travelers from alternate realities
collide, an infinite number of possibilities arise," this description
applies to only ten of the nineteen stories in this collection, and even
that is probably stretching it.  All this proves, of course, is that Watt-
Evans isn't as limited as the blurb might imply.  It is true that more than
half of the stories are about alternate realities, but from reading the
introduction it does seem that the intent was to include in this collection
all the stories Watt-Evans wrote in this category.  The net result is a
somewhat skewed sample of Watt-Evans's writing, I suspect.  But on to the
stories.

     There are at least four first-rate stories.  "Why I Left Harry's All-
Night Hamburgers" has won a Hugo and been nominated for a Nebula, but in
case you're unfamiliar with it, let me just say that this captures the sense
of wonder of science fiction, and of other things, in a story of a visitor
from parallel worlds.  Alas, the sequel, "A Flying Saucer with Minnesota
Plates," is not up to it in quality, but it was a tough act to follow.

     Another excellent story is "Truth, Justice, and the American Way,"
which I reviewed when it first appeared in Resnick's ALTERNATE PRESIDENTS.
Here Watt-Evans postulates a victory by Hoover rather than Roosevelt in
1932.  This results in a cascade of changes involving Japan, Germany, the
Soviet Union, and Jews all over the world.  This story is one that has
stayed with me; it takes the old "what if World War II never
happened?" question and gives it an unusual and perhaps surprising answer.

     In "Storm Trooper," the barriers between the alternate realties are
developing holes, and pieces of other universes are falling into ours.
Reality storms, they're called, and so to deal with them ....  It seems a
slim idea, but Watt-Evans develops it well.  "Real Time" may be the ultimate
Time Patrol story--after you've read it, you'll never look at the genre
quite the same way again.

     Some of the other stories have their charms as well.  "Monster Kidnaps
Girl at Mad Scientist's Command!" is a fun send-up of old (and new) monster
movies.  If you like Bradbury, you'll appreciate "Windwagon Smith and the
Martians."  There's emotion in "An Infinity of Karen," Arabian Nights
fantasy in "The Palace of al-Tir al-Abtan," pirates in "The Final Folly of
Captain Dancy," ... in short, something for everyone.

     I suppose my one complaint is more directed at the editor than Watt-
Evans.  The book is poorly laid out.  The stories behind the stories, which
would normally be set as paragraphs before the appropriate stories, are run
together in a sixteen-page introduction that is somewhat daunting.  Then,
instead of leading off with the strongest story, the book starts with Watt-
Evans's first story--a clever enough piece, but not the strong start one
expects.  As a result, the reader might give up prematurely, thinking, "If
this is the BEST story, ...."  That would be a pity, so I will specifically
warn against such thinking.  This collection is worth reading, and I
recommend it.

%B      Crosstime Traffic
%A      Lawrence Watt-Evans
%C      New York
%D      1992
%I      Del Rey
%O      paperback, US$3.99
%G      ISBN 0-345-37395-2
%P      247pp

Evelyn C. Leeper   |   +1 908 957 2070   |   [email-masked]

--
--Alan Wexelblat, Reality Hacker and Cyberspace Bard
Media Lab - Advanced Human Interface Group	[email-masked]
Voice: 617-258-9168, Pager: 617-945-1842	[email-masked]
The world may not be plaid, but that doesn't stop me painting stripes.