Subject: Review: Dragon Weather by Lawrence Watt-Evans

From: "Aaron M. Renn" <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Nov 1999 14:45:20 -0500

Dragon Weather by Lawrence Watt-Evans
	Review Copyright (c) 1999 Aaron M. Renn

Conclusion: Worth Reading

Watt-Evans frequently posts on a newsgroup I read, so when I saw that he
had a new release out, I figured I'd buy it even though I was unfamiliar
with his work.  That's the easy part of ass kissing.  The hard part is
writing a review and posting it to said newsgroup where he'll see it.  But
I'm either brave or foolish -- take your pick -- so here it goes.

Arlian is a young boy in a backwoods town whose life is upended when
dragons swoop in and destroy his village, killing everyone but him.
Almost immediately thereafter a band of looters shows up and sells our
friend Arlian into slavery.  After seven years of working in an iron mine,
Arlian escapes and swears vengeance on those who mistreated him.  Lots of
adventure and mayhem ensues.

Despite its length, the book is a quick and entertaining read.  I got the
impression that it was written to appeal to a younger audience, though the
hardcover price tag is certainly for the very mature.  Mostly the book is
an action/adventure story with a few elements of mystery and romance
thrown in.  The question of "What is justice?" is explored as the main
philosophical point, but not at any serious level of depth.

Much like Julian May's Perseus Spur, which I also recently read, this one
was far more entertaining than I would have expected from the storyline
and writing style.  Perhaps that's because light adventure stories appeal
to me.  I don't know.  After the more serious On Blue's Waters by Gene
Wolfe that I just finished, this sort of fun novel was exactly what I
needed.  I'm not sure it's worth $27 for a hardcover, but this one is
definitely worth picking up in a paperback edition.

Warning: Obligatory sequels sure to follow, though this book stands alone
and finishes with a nice bang.

%A Watt-Evans, Lawrence
%T Dragon Weather
%I Tor
%D 1999-10
%G ISBN 0-312-86978-9
%P 480 pp.
%O hardcover, US$26.95

Aaron M. Renn ([email-masked]) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/