Subject: Review: ETERNAL LOVECRAFT edited by Jim Turner

From: "Evelyn C Leeper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:45:54 -0400

ETERNAL LOVECRAFT edited by Jim Turner
       Golden Gryphon, ISBN 0-9655901-7-8, 1998, 411pp, US$25.95
                   A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper
		    Copyright 1998 Evelyn C. Leeper

     This anthology is divided into three sections.  The first is three
stories which either have Lovecraft as a character or are expressly set in
Lovecraft's "universe."  The second set is eleven stories with some
allusions to Lovecraft, but no direct connection.  The third is four
stories with "implied" Lovecraft connections. Though called ETERNAL
LOVECRAFT, the connections between the stories and things Lovecraft seems
at times tenuous, at least to me.  If you are more familiar with
Lovecraft than I, then the connections may seem more obvious.

     This is the third book from Golden Gryphon, the first two being
collections by James Patrick Kelly and R. Garcia y Robertson.  As with the
previous volumes, this is a well-produced, well-crafted book with a
wonderful wrap-around dust jacket (by Nicholas Jainschigg).
Unfortunately, I found the contents less interesting.  But as I said, if
you are a Lovecraft aficionado, your reaction will probably differ, and I
certainly recommend you at least investigate this.

     This has nothing to do with this book, but I would like to commend my
public library, which has the Kelly and Garcia y Robertson volumes.  It is
unusual for a public library to track the small press arena, and I'm quite
pleased that my library does so.

%B      Eternal Lovecraft
%E      Jim Turner
%C      Collinsville IL
%D      October 1998
%I      Golden Gryphon
%O      hardback, US$25.95
%G      ISBN 0-9655901-7-8
%P      411pp

Evelyn C. Leeper    |  [email-masked]
+1 732 957 2070     |  http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4824
"A lot of writers can pull off being subtle, but it takes a genius like
Melville to write a great book that is so utterly lacking in subtlety."
--Fiona Webster