Subject: Prograde Reviews--Sheri S. Tepper:Sideshow

From: [email-masked] (Aaron V. Humphrey)
Date: 11 Jun 1994 19:14:33 GMT

Sheri S. Tepper: Sideshow

A Prograde Review by Aaron V. Humphrey

In _Raising The Stones_, Sheri S. Tepper introduced the Hobbs Land Gods. 
Gods made real and concrete, and answering the needs of their worshipers
(and vice-versa).

In _Sideshow_, Tepper turns to those who fled rather than face the
"tyranny" of the Gods.  They founded a planet called Elsewhere, and divided
it up amongst the various refugee religious groups, assuring each of them
mutual tolerance and noninterference, mandated by law.

Meanwhile, back in the late twentieth century are born a pair of Siamese
twins, joined in such a way as to be inseparable.  They eventually get
transported to Elsewhere (after centuries in stasis).

The book takes a while to get moving, as it has to introduce the various
characters--Fringe Owldark, Danivon Luze, Zasper Ertigon, and a few enigmas
standing on the sidelines...  But then they get called together to
investigate reports of dragons in a mysterious province never explored... 
The suspicion is that these are the horrible Hobbs Land Gods, come at last.

However, lurking under Tolerance, Elsewhere's capital, spirits preserved in
computer for centuries are getting restless, and decide _they_ want to be
gods...

This book, like _Raising The Stones_, examines the question of what it
means to be a god.  It also questions whether we have the right or
obligation to interfere if we find another's customs immoral.  And a lot of
other pointed questions.  Although it is dangerous to expect the book to
espouse the author's opinions, it may be safe to make a guess at a few of
Tepper's from this book.

_Sideshow_ is just as good as any of the books Tepper has been turning out
in the years since _The Gate To Women's Country_.  Highly recommended.

%A Tepper, Sheri S.
%T Sideshow
%I Bantam Spectra
%C New York
%D May 1992
%G ISBN 0-553-56098-0
%P 482 pp
%O Paperback, USD5.99, CAD6.99

-- 
--Alfvaen (Editor of Communique)
Current Album--Kitchens of Distinction:Strange Free World
Current Book--Michelle Sagara:Lady of Mercy
"It's a one-time thing.  It just happens a lot."  --Suzanne Vega