Subject: "Forests of the Night" by S. Andrew Swann

From: [email-masked] (Rex Croft)
Date: 09 Aug 93 23:03:55 GMT

"Forests of the Night" by S. Andrew Swann
				- reviewed by Rex Croft  [email-masked]

An exciting futuristic dectective thriller with a difference.
The difference being that the main character, Nohar Rajasthan, is a gene
manipulated tiger.  Many of the nations in the world have started from
animal genes and produced human form soldiers.  We have tigers, dogs,
rabbits and rats amongst others. Unfortunately they are treated as
second class citizens.  And they probably wouldn't be that if the Pope
hadn't decreed that they had souls.  And then at the bottom of the social
ladder we have "franks", genetically modified humans.  Although outlawed
by the UN, Japan and South America have continued with their experiments.

So, in this world, Nohar accepts a commission from an anonymous frank to
investigate the killing of campaign manager of a rising politico.

The plot is well paced with several fight scenes.
The ending has an unexpected twist which enhances the plot.

I really enjoyed this book.  Highly recommended.

%A  S. Andrew Swann
%T  Forests of the Night
%I  DAW
%C  New York
%D  July, 1993
%O  paperback, US$3.99
%P  284pp.
%G  ISBN 0-88677-565-5
%O  Cover art by Jim Burns
%O  Copyright by Steven Swiniarski