Subject: _A College of Magics_ by Caroline Stevermer

From: [email-masked] (Christina Schulman)
Date: 16 Jun 1994 00:20:42 GMT

_A College of Magics_ by Caroline Stevermer

What if Jane Austen had written _The Prisoner of Zenda_?  If the idea
appeals to you, I strongly recommend _A College of Magics_ by Caroline
Stevermer, a witty, genteel fantasy set in the early years of an alternate
twentieth century.

Faris Nallaneen, duchess of Galazon, has been packed away to finishing
school at Greenlaw College by her usurping uncle Brinker.  Greenlaw is
unusual in that magic is a mandatory part of the curriculum; unlike Latin
and deportment, its practice is forbidden to students, but a graduate is
entitled to be called a scholar of Greenlaw to her face and a witch of
Greenlaw behind her back.  Faris vacillates between periods of immersing
herself in her studies and ignoring her schoolwork in favor of trashy
three-volume novels.  (_A College of Magics_ is, of course, a three-volume
novel.)

The pacing of the book while Faris is at Greenlaw is episodic; she spends
two years at school until a whirlwind of events culminates in her rushing
off to save the world, accompanied by her best friend, the excruciatingly
English Jane Brailsford.  Along the way, they attempt to rescue Galazon
from the clutches of her wicked uncle while becoming embroiled in the
messy politics of the neighboring kingdom of Aravill.

Faris's Europe in 1909 is not very different from our own, except for the
existence of magic and a few extra independent duchies in Eastern Europe.
They have motorcars, pistols, railroads, and bombs.  It's a wonderful
antidote to the current trend of generic medievaloid fantasy.  This book
may not appeal to those who like constant swordfighting, car chases, and
general mayhem, but it will delight readers who enjoy unfailingly clever
dialogue.

        "Dry work.  I'd hate to miss the spectacle but I'm perishing
    for my tea.  Just sit with me for a moment while I drink a cup
    and then let me come along to watch you murder Menary.  Though
    of course, we'll have to queue up for the privilege.  She does
    love to do an ill turn when she sees the chance."
        
        "Do you speak so highly of all your friends?" asked Faris,
    coldly.
    
        "Menary doesn't have any friends.  She doesn't want any.
    She's more interested in servitors.  I merely asked her a few
    questions.  And don't snipe at me for my shocking geography,"
    Jane added.  "If it isn't the Empire, it's all the same to me:
    Galazon, Aravill, Graustark, or Ruritania.  You really can't
    expect me to keep all those little countries straight.  I'm
    not ignorant, just English.  Milk?  Sugar?"

_A College of Magics_ has everything:  a wicked uncle, an evil blonde,
obliging highwaymen, an exploding hat, and attempted murder on the Orient
Express.  It certainly won't be to everyone's tastes, but it's one of the
best books I've read this year.

%A   Stevermer, Caroline
%T   A College of Magics
%I   Tor Books
%C   New York
%D   March 1994
%G   ISBN 0-312-85689-X
%P   380 pp
%O   hardcover, US$22.95

-- 
Christina Schulman   Pittsburgh NMR Institute   [email-masked]