Subject: REVIEW: "Cryptonomicon", Neal Stephenson

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 May 2003 12:39:45 -0400

Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson
	Review Copyright 2003 Robert M. Slade

A number of people, particularly those who liked "Snow Crash" have said
that they did *not* like "Cryptonomicon."  I'm at a loss to understand
why.  "Cryptonomicon" is much closer in style to "Snow Crash" than either
was to, say, "The Diamond Age".

Yes, this book is quite convoluted, but so was "Snow Crash". And there is
the same accuracy in terms of technology.  The cryptography, while not
exhaustively covering the field, provides an excellent overview of some
basic concepts.  Similarly, the current work also flips back and forth
between generations.  The extent of switching, in fact, is sufficient that
some have wondered if there is a message encoded in the "change of state"
from past to present between chapters.  I haven't yet heard from anyone
who has actually tried to find such a message.

The characters are sympathetic, the situations are entertainingly absurd,
and, despite the demands that the book makes on a reader, I quite enjoyed
it.

%A   Neal Stephenson
%C   1350 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10019
%D   1999
%G   0-380-97346-4
%I   Avon Books/The Hearst Corporation
%O   U$27.50/C$39.50 +1-800-238-0658 [email-masked]
%O  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380973464/robsladesinterne
  http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380973464/robsladesinte-21
%O   http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380973464/robsladesin03-20
%P   918 p.
%T   Cryptonomicon

[email-masked]  [email-masked]  [email-masked] [email-masked]
"If you do buy a computer, don't turn it on."     - Richards' 2nd Law
============= for back issues:
[Base URL] site http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/
      or mirror http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade/
CISSP refs:     [Base URL]mnbksccd.htm
Security Dict.: [Base URL]secgloss.htm
Security Educ.: [Base URL]comseced.htm
Book reviews:   [Base URL]mnbk.htm
                [Base URL]review.htm
Partial/recent: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techbooks/
Security Educ.: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/comseced/
Review mailing list: send mail to [email-masked]