Subject: THE GUIDE TO LARRY NIVEN'S RINGWORLD by Kevin Stein

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 26 Feb 94 00:55:55 GMT

THE GUIDE TO LARRY NIVEN'S RINGWORLD by Kevin Stein
               Baen, ISBN 0-671-72205-0, 1994, 188pp, US$14.
                     A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper
		      Copyright 1994 Evelyn C. Leeper

     This would more accurately be titled THE GUIDE TO LARRY NIVEN'S KNOWN
SPACE, since it covers all of Known Space, not just the Ringworld.  Unlike
the recent guide to Anne Rice's "universe," this is not arranged
encyclopedically.  Instead, there are chapters such as "History of Known
Space,"  "Major Races of Known Space," "Aliens of Known Space" (I would
think this would have included the preceding chapter), "The Ringworld,"
"Races of Ringworld," "Psionics," "Equipment," and "Glossary."

     This is not designed as a reference book in which to look up things.
For example, the glossary gives a two-sentence definition of Kzinti with no
reference or pointer to the fourteen pages of text on the Kzinti.  Instead
it appears to be a book for fans of Known Space to leaf through.  The best
part may be the illustrations by Todd Hamilton and James Clouse.  Of course,
I am not especially a fan of Known Space and would prefer to get my series
information from the author directly.  But even for a fan, I suspect the
approach taken here is too diffuse.  Working by analogy, I ask myself what
my reaction to a similarly constructed book about Sherlock Holmes would be,
and I have to say I would find it of minor interest.

%T      The Guide to Larry Niven's Ringworld
%A      Kevin Stein
%C      New York
%D      February 1994
%I      Baen
%O      trade paperback, US$14
%G      ISBN 0-671-72205-0
%P      188pp

-- 
Evelyn C. Leeper | +1 908 957 2070 | [email-masked] / [email-masked]

"Remember, high-tech means breaks down next week, while cutting edge means
breaks down this afternoon.  -Bruce Sterling