Subject: Review of _Vampire$_ by John Steakley

From: [email-masked] (Doug Ingram)
Date: 2 Jun 91 07:11:39 GMT

VAMPIRE$
		    by John Steakley

		Review Copyright (c) 1991 Doug Ingram

[Bibliographic info at end of review --AW]

	Years ago, I first discovered John Steakley when a friend
recommended _Armor_ to me.  As an aside, _Armor_ was quite an incredible
book, but nothing new appeared on the shelves from Steakley until just last
year when _Vampire$_ was released.  Those of you familiar with Steakley's
first book can expect the same kind of action: fast-paced and very intense.

	As one might gather from the title, if not the cover blurb,
_Vampire$_ is a novel about a group of modern-day mercenaries who hunt down
vampires.  Led by Jack Crow, this group travels around the world (mostly
staying in the United States) to do its work, hunting down and killing
vampires.  Being "professionals" in this business means you've got to
survive for a fair amount of time, so Team Crow takes no chances and pulls
no punches, making for some very entertaining scenes.

	One of my favorite aspects of this novel is that I finally get to
read a story about vampires told from the point of view of someone with some
common sense!  Too often, vampire novels are plagued by characters you'd
expect on sitcoms like "Three's Company," but here at last is a character
who shakes his head at these poor slobs and understands what's going on.  Of
course, the vampires aren't stupid either, and as time goes on, they begin
to realize the danger that Crow represents to them, and the war begins.

	As the battles wear on, Crow seeks out help in the form of a
mysterious old friend named Felix while a female reporter joins up with the
team.  A large part of the novel centers on Felix's struggle with himself in
the face of such great evil, and his past with Crow makes for a great
subplot.  The main thread of the novel, though, draws Team Crow to Dallas,
where they must find their way out of an intricate trap, and I found I
simply couldn't put down the book for the last 100 pages or so.

	It's very difficult to describe the plot in more detail without
putting in spoilers, so let it suffice for me to say that if you liked
_Armor_, vampire stories, or lots of action, then this is worth a read.  I'm
looking forward to more great stuff by Steakley, but I don't recommend that
you start reading this book with any major deadlines looming.

%A Steakley, John
%T Vampire$
%I NAL Roc Fantasy
%C New York
%D November 1990
%G ISBM 0-451-45033-7
%P 357 pp.
%O large paperback, US$8.95

Doug Ingram // [email-masked] // [email-masked]
			"Carpe Datum"