Subject: "The Phoenix in Flight" by Sherwood Smith & Dave Trowbridge

From: [email-masked] (Rex Croft)
Date: 07 Jun 93 00:47:11 GMT

"The Phoenix in Flight" by Sherwood Smith & Dave Trowbridge

				- reviewed by Rex Croft  [email-masked]

This book is about a power struggle in the Empire of a Thousand Suns.
The current Emperor Gelasaar subjugated the Dol'jhar, a planet of warrior men,
20 years ago.  The plans of the ruler of Dol'jhar for vengance are about to
come to fruition.  He wants to overthrow the Emperor and kill his three sons.

The book mostly follows the adventures of Brandon, the Emperor's youngest son.
The Dol'jhar have discovered how to use some technology left by an alien race
10 million years ago and this gives their spaceships an advantage.
Critical to this seems to be the alien artifact called the Heart of Kronos,
which is stolen but redirected into friendly hands.  Some Dol'jhar allies
attack a planet to try to recover it.

The book ends on a satisfactory note, but clearly more volumes are neded to
finish the tale.

An enjoyable space opera adventure.

%T  The Phoenix in Flight
%A  Sherwood Smith
%A  Dave Trowbridge
%I  Tor
%C  New York
%D  February 1993
%O  paperback, US$4.99
%P  442 pp.
%G  ISBN 0-812-52024-6
%S  Exordium
%V  1