Subject: Review: Rules of Conflict by Kristine Smith

From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Oct 2000 15:22:38 -0400

Rules of Conflict, Kristine Smith
	Review Copyright (c) 2000 Aaron M. Renn

Conclusion: Recommended

I liked Kristine Smith's Code of Conduct a lot and apparently so did a lot
of other people, because Smith was nominated for the John W. Campbell
Award.  With that success under her belt, perhaps it was inevitable that
we would get a sequel.

Luckily, Rules of Conflict does not disappoint.  All of the things I liked
about the first book are still there in the second: tough characters, a
good mystery, interesting aliens, and some action scenes to keep things
interesting.  The writing style is similar, which is good, though I did
notice a few clunky phrases in there.  This book appears to have tightened
up some of the storytelling to eliminate the plot holes I noticed in its
predecessor.  Again, no sequel is required, though the door is certainly
left open for one.  I fully expect this to become at least a trilogy.

Rules of Conflict picks up where Code of Conduct left off.  Evan van
Reuter and Jani have both been arrested for their role in events back at
Rauta Sheraa.  Both suspect that there's a lot more going on than their
own private pasts catching up with them.  And they're both right.

Overall, another strong outing for Smith, who has a very promising writing
career ahead of her.

%A Smith, Kristine
%T Rules of Conflict
%I Eos/HarperCollins
%D 2000-09
%G ISBN 0-380-80784-X
%P 373 pp.
%O mass market paperback, US$6.50

Reviewed on 2000-10-07

Aaron M. Renn ([email-masked]) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/