Subject: Review: The Lady In The Loch, by Katz

From: [email-masked] (HKlaus6073)
Date: 12 Nov 1998 14:20:51 -0500

THE LADY IN THE LOCH by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
	Review Copyright 1998 Harriet Klausner

Walter Scott expects to have a lot of free time to hone his novelist
skills because he anticipates a quiet time as the newly appointed sheriff
of Edinburgh. However, instead of kicking off his shoes and picking up his
plume, Walter soon finds a mix of corpses, skeletons, and body parts along
the shore of the nearby loch. Initially writing it off as the work of some
grisly grave robbers, Walter changes his mind when he realizes that Gypsy
women are being abducted.

The townsfolk are uninterested in the disappearances because these are
only Gypsies. However, that changes when Midge Margaret tells the sheriff
about a mystery coach that seems to appear just before the women vanish.
Walter puts his writings aside to investigate what is happening to destroy
the peace of his home city, unaware that he is about to dive into a circle
of the foulest of black magic.

Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is renowned for her enchanting fantasy novels
(see THE GODMOTHER series, etc.). Her latest novel, THE LADY IN THE LOCH,
is a wonderful historical mystery, starring Walter Scott at the beginning
stages of his career as a novelist. Though there are liberties taken with
the lead protagonist and his time period, the Scott persona rings genuine
and the support cast with their deep Scottish brogues adds to the period
piece. A fabulous tale that will remind readers of Heck's Twain mysteries
and hopefully have as many sequels.

Harriet Klausner

%T THE LADY IN THE LOCH 
%A Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
%I Ace
%D Dec 1998
%O $19.95
%P 272 pp.
%G ISBN 0-441-00582-9