Subject: Roberson: A Tapestry of Lions

From: [email-masked] (Dani Zweig)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 00:51:57 GMT

Why do I do this to myself?  Well, I suppose I know the answer
to that:  It's been just under nine years since Jennifer Roberson
started her Cheysuli saga, and I wanted to see how she finally
wrapped it up.

No surprises, just the usual ingredients in a slightly different
order.  Instead of being a spoiled kid who is kidnapped by the
Ihlini, suffers, grows up and falls in love, Kellin first suffers, 
then is kidnapped, then becomes a spoiled kid, and *then* grows up
and falls in love.

No surprises.  If you thought the last four or five books in the
"Shapechangers" series were worth reading then you'll think that
"A Tapestry of Lions" was worth reading; if you didn't care for
those, this won't change your mind.

Like the rest of the books, this one ends with a pseudo-resolution.
If the author doesn't return to this milieu, we can assume that
they all lived happily ever after.  If she does (as she threatens
to), then the next book will undoubtedly start with all the problems
ignored at the end of this book still around, with a new arch-villain
to replace the last one, with a relative or few assassinated, and
whatever else the author dictates.

I suspect this book will appear in the used book stores in large
numbers over the coming months.  If you have no strong reason to
hurry and buy it new, don't.

-----
Dani Zweig
[email-masked]

   If you're going to write, don't pretend to write down.  It's going to be the
   best you can do, and it's the fact that it's the best you can do that kills
   you! -- Dorothy Parker