Subject: Review: The Blue Star by Fletcher Pratt

From: [email-masked] (JIM HENRY)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:02:00 GMT

The Blue Star
		by Fletcher Pratt
	Review Copyright 1996 Jim Henry

_The Blue Star_ by Fletcher Pratt is a fine short fantasy novel.  It is set
in an alternate Europe, which seems to me to have diverged from our own
history sometime after the middle Roman Empire; traces can be seen in the
nations of this world of Greek and Roman influence, and the organized Church
seems to be descended from the early Christian church after it obtained
political power.

There is a frame prologue and epilogue consisting of several fellows talking
speculatively about such an alternate history, between which they dream
commonly of the story.  This is more effective that I would have supposed
had it been stated to me so baldly as I just did.

The story focuses upon Rodvard Bergelin, a fellow of high ideals and low
morals, a low-ranking member of a revolutionary cabal which plots to
overthrow the Dossolan Empire on behalf of 'the people;' and upon Lalette
Asterhax, a hereditary witch whom Rodvard is ordered to seduce in order to
obtain her powers on behalf of the cabal.  This is very well-plotted, with
good characterization and fine world-building.  I highly recommend it.

%A Pratt, Fletcher
%T Blue Star, The
%T (Originally published in omnibus _Witches Three_)
%D 1952 (reprinted 1969, 1975)
%I Twayne (reprinted by Ballantine Adult Fantasy)
%E Lin Carter
%G No ISBN
%P 240 pp.
%K fantasy alternate history witchcraft Austro-Hungarian Empire

 * RM 1.31 3176 * "Bogosity - the degree to which something is bogus."- Stoll