Subject: Review: _Carpe Jugulum_ by Terry Pratchett

From: Peter Ponzini <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Aug 2000 13:02:42 -0400

_Carpe Jugulum_, Terry Pratchett
	Review Copyright 2000 Peter Ponzini

"Carpe Jugulum" means "go for the throat," and the author does, gleefully
targeting anything and everything in yet another installation of his
wickedly humorous Discworld series. Pratchett's Discworld serves as the
author's medium to examine, weigh, and, if necessary, skewer our beliefs,
foibles, fads, and philosophies.

And yet he does it with astonishing wit and grace, mercilessly poking any
sacred cow that catches his attention firmly in the eye, without resorting
to the coarse vulgarity and cheap tittillation that pervades so much of
today's popular satire. His barbs are dagger-sharp, but they overlie a
solid core of humanity, compassion, and hope. His characters, good and
bad, feel like reflections of ourselves, containing in themselves grace
greater than all of Heaven, and evil blacker than all of Hell.

_Carpe Jugulum_ follows some of Pratchett's most beloved characters, the
witches of Lancre, as they struggle against a clan of garlic eating, sun
loving vampyres (they spell it that way...it's more modern) who were
foolishly invited into the Kingdom of Lancre by the good-hearted King
Verence to celebrate his daughter's birth. The vamps become the sort of
unwanted houseguest who just won't leave, and it's up to the indomitable
Granny Weatherwax, the deceptively cheerful Nanny Ogg, and the vocally
gifted Agnes Nitt (who can sing in harmony with herself) to save the day
and the Kingdom. Throw in a baby pheonix, a horde of bloodthirsty, six
inch tall pixies who speak in an unintelligable burr, a young priest of Om
named Mightily Oats, and a special guest appearance by ex-witch Queen
Magrat Garlick, and you have all of the makings of yet another delightful,
hilarious, and ultimately thought provoking romp through Discworld, a
world that is not ours, but bears some...striking...similarities.

All in all, a delightful book, well worth reading. If you've visited
Discworld before, you already know this, and if you haven't, well...what
are you waiting for?

%A Terry Pratchett
%T Carpe Jugulum
%G 0-06-10203907
%I Harper Collins, Harper Torch
%C New York
%D 2000
%O Paperback, USD 6.99

This review may be freely reproduced or distributed for non-commercial
use, as long as it is reproduced in its entirety. For all other use,
contact the reviewer.