Subject: Review: IT CAME FROM THE DRIVE-IN edited by Norman Partridge

From: "Evelyn C Leeper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 22:23:22 GMT

IT CAME FROM THE DRIVE-IN edited by Norman Partridge
                   A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper
		    Copyright 1996 Evelyn C. Leeper

     I am a big fan of 1950s science fiction films, and married to an even
bigger one.  In fact, he is embarked on a project of re-watching every 1950s
science fiction film, one every Saturday night.  So when I saw this I
thought it would be great.

     Unfortunately, I had forgotten all those other 1950s films: the
juvenile delinquent films, the Westerns, and so on.  And I had forgotten
that the drive-ins lasted into the 1960s and 1970s with films considerably
worse.  Indeed, there are still drive-ins today, and who knows what they are
running?  Too many of the authors seem to have taken these as inspiration,
rather than the films I remember so fondly.

     There are a few of good stories here.  Gregory Nicoll's "Underground
Atlanta," while having no connection to drive-ins other than the most
tenuous similarity to 1970s horror films, is an interesting concept.  And
the Nina Kiriki Hoffman and the Steve Rasnic Tem stories have their moments.
But the rest seem as unmemorable as the drive-in fare they commemorate.
Maybe it I had been a more frequent patron of drive-ins I would appreciate
them more, but as it stands I cannot recommend this anthology.

%B      It Came from the Drive-In
%E      Norman Partridge
%C      New York
%D      February 1996
%I      DAW
%O      paperback, US$5.50
%G      ISBN 0-88677-680-5
%P      320pp

Evelyn C. Leeper | +1 908 957 2070 | [email-masked] <==NOTE NEW ADDRESS
"People are worried about online porn on the Internet. It's the endless
`Who's better--Kirk or Picard?' threads that *should* scare them."
             -- Jim Mullen, _Entertainment Weekly_