Subject: _Joyleg_ by Ward Moore and Avram Davidson

From: [email-masked]
Date: 17 Jun 1994 05:38:31 GMT

I haven't read anything else by Ward Moore, but Avram Davidson is been
one of my favorite writers for a couple of years.  This is one of his
best novels -- the collaboration was good for him.

The front cover painting is nice (artist's name not listed), but
totally irrelevant. The back cover blurb is exaggerative, but doesn't
give away too much of the plot.  Indeed, there isn't much plot to give
away.  A female Republican representative and a male Democrat
representative discover the file of a veteran of an unspecified war who
has been receiving a pension of eleven dollars a month as far back as
the current records show.  The Hon. Lucinda Rose Habersham (R., Tenn.)
decides it is a fraud to be exposed, someone using a long-dead
veteran's name to leech off the pension fund.    The Hon. Tully
Weathercox (D., Tenn.) declares it is an insult to throw a measly
eleven dollars a month to someone who has fought and bled to defend his
country's freedom.  They independently decide to leave during recess
and search out Isachar Joyleg.  They find him.  The second half of the
book is devoted to what happens when Joyleg's actual age is made
public.

The novel's excellence comes mainly from its dialogue and
characterization.  If you're looking for a fast-moving adventure story,
look elsewhere.  If you like hilarious satire and Old Men of the
Wandering Jew/"The Gnarly Man"/Lazarus Long type, make a diligent
search for _Joyleg_.

"A shorter version of this novel appeared in the March and April,
1962, issues of _Fantastic_."

%A Moore, Ward
%A Davidson, Avram
%T Joyleg
%I Berkley Medallion
%C New York
%D October 1973
%G ISBN 425-02442-3
%P 191pp

 * SLMR 2.1a * Democracy is the most entertaining form of government.