Subject: Bimbos of the Death Sun

From: [email-masked] (Alan R. Katz)
Date: 9 Jun 87 22:54:24 GMT

This is for real:

			Bimbos of the Death Sun

				   by
			     Sharyn McCrumb

			    a book review by
			      Alan R. Katz

Believe it or not, I actually only got this book because of the title!
But, its really very good.  The story is a murder mystery which takes
place at your typical science fiction convention.  One of the main
characters is a engineering professor who has written his first (hard)
science fiction book (which the publisher went and named Bimbos of the
Death Sun).

The worlds greatest author of Science Fantasy (who is a truly unlikable
person) is found murdered in his hotel room during the con by his agent
(whose first thought is "I wonder if I get two more wishes?").  The
question then becomes: Who hated him enough to kill him? (answer:
practically anyone who knew him).  The mystery is eventually solved by
the engineering professor in the ultimate Dungeons and Dragons role
playing game (well, thats what the back cover says).

If you have ever attended a con (and who hasn't?) you will recognize the
characters, most are stereotypes of your typical sf-con addict and are
very funny.  The costume contest, the filk singing, the reactions of the
ordinary hotel guests are all there.  The book is published by TSR Inc.
(who, I believe, do the D & D stuff).  A very funny book. [****] (out of 5)

-------