Subject: Anne McCaffery _The_Renegades_of_Pern_

From: [email-masked]
Date: 10 Nov 89 14:45:00 GMT

Ann McCaffery's newest book, _The_Renegades_of_Pern_, seems to be a
"tie up the loose ends" book for the Dragonriders of Pern series.  The
period of this book is before, during and after _The_White_Dragon_.
It follows the adventures of Piemur exploring the southern continent
as a subtheme.

     _Renegades_ jumps around alot.  There are some surprises, but not many.
If you haven't read all of the books in the Dragonrider series to date,
including _Dragonsdawn_, forget it, you will be completely lost before you
make it half way through the book.  This book is not one of McCaffery's best.
You probably should not make my mistake and buy the thing in hard cover,
wait for the paperback.

     The book goes in depth to describe the condition of the lower classes
of Pernese society.  There are several characters which are brought in and
used to make these points, then disappear and don't surface again for about
100 pages.

                                        David Highland

[email-masked]