Subject: The Rowan

From: [email-masked] (Dani Zweig)
Date: 12 Nov 90 00:33:24 GMT

Over thirty years ago, Anne MacCaffrey wrote a twenty-page story titled
"Lady in the Tower".  Like so much of her work, it was a romance --
strictly adhering to formula -- with science-fictional props.

In "The Rowan", this story has been expanded to novel length by the
infusion of three hundred pages of candy floss.  The story is still the
same -- poor little tele-younameit finally find the equally powerful
tele-younameit who is her one true love -- except that every nuance now
gets a chapter of background and a chapter of expansion.  There's still
only a short-story's worth of substance.  The rest is not the worst mind-
candy, but is quite lacking in whatever it is that minds use for nutrition.

Don't buy this book in hardcover.  If you must read it, wait till it's out
in paperback or, better still, borrow it from a friend or, best of all,
borrow it from the library.  One and a half stars out of five.

-----
Dani Zweig
[email-masked] 

   'T is with our judgements as our watches, none
   Go alike, yet each believes his own
		--Alexander Pope