Subject: McCaffrey: Damia

From: [email-masked] (Dani Zweig)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1993 09:42:40 GMT

"Damia" is Anne McCaffrey's second Raven novel.  Or, to put it differently,
it is the second Raven story (from "Get Off the Unicorn"), expanded, like
the first, two novel length -- by the mechanism of granting the characters
childhoods, relatives, and angst.

Like "The Rowan", it's a very minor romance novel in a tissue-thin
science-fictional setting, with just enough plot to keep the reader
turning pages while boy and girl get around to finding each other.

Most irritating line in the book:  "Since a high-tech society gobbles
ores, minerals, and rare earths at phenomenal rates, it is reasonable
to suppose that he's crossed to our galaxy to find new sources."  I
suspect McCaffrey has only the vaguest idea of what a galaxy is.

Pheh.

-----
Dani Zweig
[email-masked]

   If you're going to write, don't pretend to write down.  It's going to be the
   best you can do, and it's the fact that it's the best you can do that kills
   you! -- Dorothy Parker