Subject: TWO new Pern books are out!

From: [email-masked] (Morris)
Date: 7 Nov 89 21:03:33 GMT

Either I missed a feed or the net.rumor.mill missed it, because there are
TWO new Pern books on the bookstore shelves as of yesterday afternoon.

As the net has been discussing for some time, _The_Renegades_of_Pern_ is one
of the new books.  I assume that it follows the plot as described here over
the past week since I haven't started into it yet.  

The other book is _The_Dragonlover's_Guide_to_Pern_ by Jody Lynn Nye (and
Anne McCaffrey).  It's a large-format (8-1/2x11) guide to the flora, fauna,
and culture of Pern, and on first examination looks to be a good companion
to the _Atlas_of_Pern_ which came out last year.  A few of the items from 
the book:

- A drawing of a klah mug with the EEC logo

- The demographics of the original settlers:
     2,000 unattached
     2,020 married (1,010 couples)
       120 single parents
       223 over [child-]bearing age
       721 nomads
       939 children
    ------
     6,023 humans (plus 25 dolphins)

- Drawings of tunnel snakes, wherrys, Thread, and grubs

- Drawings showing the relative size of a man and a fully-grown dragonet, 
  a bronze rider, his dragon, and a quenn egg, and the various sizes of
  dragons

- Another comparative-size drawing of Ramoth against a Lockheed L1011 jet
  (wingspan award to Ramoth by a huge amount; length award to the jet
  by only a dozen feet or so)

...and so on.  The general feel I get from thumbing the books at home last
night is that they remind me of some of the unclassified orientation 
briefing books which the State Department issues for some foreign countries.

Both books are published by Del Rey, and both are listed at $19.95.
Waldenbooks is selling them for 15% discount.

Oh yes...also in the book is a recipie for klah if you want to really get
the flavor of the series.