Subject: Review: Perseus Spur by Julian May

From: "Aaron M. Renn" <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Nov 1999 14:11:15 -0500

Perseus Spur by Julian May
	Review Copyright (c) 1999 Aaron M. Renn

Conclusion: Worth Reading

After the quasi-epic Pliocene Exile/Galatic Milieu books, this light SF
detective adventure is quite a departure for May.  Helmut Icicle is the
alias of a falsely convicted criminal living on the frontier planet of
Kedge-Lockaby.  We was once Asahel Front, the scion of a wealthy and
powerful corporate CEO, but was framed when he too aggressively pursued
corporate wrongdoing in his job as a government investigator.  Resigned to
a life as an outcast, everything turns around for Frost when ghosts from
his corporate past show up and try to kill him.  He gets dragged into a
web of intrigue that just might help him win back his good name.

There's nothing of tremendous substance here, and I'm sure May didn't
intend for there to be.  It's just fun, light, fairly entertaining
reading.  Cliches abound and I kept thinking I should probably be finding
lots of faults with them and other things about the book.  But I didn't.
I liked this book quite a bit.

May leaves room for a sequel at the end, though the book stands alone.
The cover says "An Adventure of the Rampart Worlds," so I expect this is
intended as the first in the continuing adventures of Asahel Frost.

%A May, Julian
%T Perseus Spur
%I Del Rey
%D 1999-10 (original publication 1998)
%G ISBN 0-345-39510-7
%P 329 pp.
%O mass market paperback, US$6.99

Aaron M. Renn ([email-masked]) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/