Subject: Reviews: Daughter of the Forest, Soul In The Great Machine & The Fountains Of Youth

From: Harriet Klausner <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 May 2000 09:46:15 -0400

Reviews Copyright 2000 Harriet Klausner

DAUGHTER OF THE FOREST, Juliet Marillier

Highly Recommended

Of the seven Irish siblings only Sorcha, the youngest and only female,
does not remember their deceased mother. Her older six brothers have fond
memories of their mother, that is until, their malevolent stepmother
Oonagh bewitched their father and changed the males into swans. Sorcha is
the sole hope of rescuing her family.

Sorcha enters the forest only to be raped. She manages to escape with the
help of English nobleman Hugh of Harrowfield. Due to her vow, Sorcha hides
her mission from Hugh. However, they marry and travel to England where
Sorcha continues her quest to transform her siblings back into humans even
as she becomes the focus of a deadly power struggle between Hugh and his
enemies.

DAUGHTER OF THE FOREST is an entertaining romantic fantasy that retells
the legendary Celtic fairy tale of the swans.  The story line is
fast-paced, filled with action, and loaded with romance yet brimming with
magical elements that seem real. The lead characters are warm,
compassionate, and share a sense of family loyalty that adds to the
adventure. Though her debut novel, Juliet Marillier shows the talent of a
folk tale teller that will send fantasy fans and romance readers
delightfully desiring similar set stories.

%T Daughter of the Forest
%A Juliet Marillier
%I Tor
%D May 2000
%O $25.95 hardcover
%P 400 pp
%G ISBN 0-312-84879-X

   SOULS IN THE GREAT MACHINE by Sean McMullen

In 3931, technology is long gone, falling victim to the Great winter.  The
psychic Call dominates the Australian landscape. No one knows what it is
or how to defeat it, but when the Call "sings" its siren song, any being
not tied down or not living in the free city of Rochester is swept in its
path. Once the Call has you, you mindlessly walk south into the sea to
vanish forever.

On the moon, machines are working on a long abandoned project to construct
a colossal mirror that will reflect heat away from the Earth.  That might
have been needed during the alarming global warming threat, but in today's
cooler climate will cause a pandemic disaster like has happened in the
past.

The Highliber Zarvora Cybeline is the last hope for humanity to stop the
threats from above and below. She and her band of mathematical geniuses
develop the Calculator as a means of controlling society and hopefully
saving mankind from becoming as extinct as the dinosaur. However, the
ruthless but brilliant Zarvora fails to calculate the threat from within
mankind.

With all the concepts and subplots that SOULS IN THE GREAT MACHINES
contains, the story line should flop due to bloat. Instead the epic
futuristic tale is a fast-paced, action-packed, and often satirical drama
that captivates the reader. Zarvora is atypical of the heroes of SF
because she seems human as she ruthlessly pursues her agenda while the
Calculator appears so real that fans will believe in it. The audience will
seek THE CENTURION'S EMPIRE and demand the publication of Sean McMullen's
other works not published in North America.

%T Souls in the Great Machine
%A Sean McMullen
%I Tor
%D May 2000
%O $15.95
%P 448 pp
%G ISBN 0-312-87256-9

   THE FOUNTAINS OF YOUTH by Brian Stableford

    The Emortals that the human race has evolved into wonder why Mortimer
Gray would write his epic tome, "The History of Death."  It is to answer
that question that he has posed to himself that has led Mr.  Gray to write
this autobiography of his five centuries of life.

    Mortimer was born in 2520 with nothing in his background to suggest he
would become so famous for the epic work that has shaken humanity.  In
2535, Mortimer climbs a Tibetan mountain where he meets world leader
Julius Ngomi inside an ancient ruin.  Julius explains that the dead past
resides side by side with the Emortals.  Not too long after that
encounter, Mortimer tastes but survives death due to a shipwreck that
shows that mankind may have defeated aging and disease, but accidents can
still kill.  Mortimer becomes obsessed with the way the past coped with
death and begins his treastise that leads to many fringe groups claiming
him as their guru and chronicler.

    THE FOUNTAINS OF YOUTH is a deep, thought-provoking science fiction
tale that is not for everyone.  Fans who enjoy action at the rate of Stars
Wars need to pass on this tale.  However, those readers who gain pleasure
from a cerebral, philosophic futuristic look at mankind will relish this
novel.  Written more like an autobiography than a novel, Brian Stableford
demonstrates his abilities to paint a distant future that raises questions
about the present.

%T The Fountains of Youth
%A Brian Stableford
%I Tor
%D May 2000
%O $24.95
%P 352 pp.
%G ISBN: 0312872062

Harriet Klausner