Subject: Lackey and Sherman: Bard's Tale

From: [email-masked] (Dani Zweig)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1993 06:04:42 GMT

I finally found "The Bard's Tale: Castle of Deception", by Mercedes Lackey
and Josepha Sherman, in a used book store.  It's not often that I fail
to finish a book, but in this case I couldn't get past page fifty.  I've
complained in the past that Lackey's collaborations tend to be bad --
but this was simply and unrelentingly *dull*. 

A blurb for the sequel describes "Castle of Deception" as a "highly
successful genre bestseller".  I suspect that whoever wrote that
description subscribes to the Humpty-Dumpty school of English.  Or
maybe not:  I was dumbfounded to read that Baen has contracted for
five more sequels -- two by Lackey coauthors, one by Holly Lisle, and
two by Lisle with coauthors not yet selected.  I'd be interested in
knowing who the prime contractor was.

-----
Dani Zweig
[email-masked]

   'T is with our judgements as our watches, none
   Go alike, yet each believes his own
		--Alexander Pope