Subject: Review: The Black Swan, Mercedes Lackey

From: Harriet Klausner <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 May 1999 14:14:14 -0400

The Black Swan by Mercedes Lackey
		Review Copyright 1999 Harriet Klausner

Sorcerer Baron von Rothbart has never forgiven women for the untimely
death of his spouse. To avenge this affront, he begins to magically
transform chosen females into beautiful swans. Only moonlight can
temporarily alter his powerful spell and turn the swans back into human,
but alas that does not last. The only female he has not changed into a
bird is his daughter Odile, who minds his flock even as she desperately
yearns for her father's approval.

Prince Seigfried, a noted philanderer, notices the flock changing back and
forth between swans and humans. He returns every night and soon falls in
love with the most intrepid of the prisoners, Princess Odette. He plans to
do what ever it takes to free his beloved. However, even as Odile begins
to doubt her loyalties, Seigfried's mother turns to the Baron to help her
keep her son from attaining the throne that is rightfully his.

THE BLACK SWAN is a beautiful rewriting of the classic fairy tale, Swan
Lake. The well-written story line is filled with enchantment, treachery,
and love. The five prime characters are intelligently designed even as
they stay close to the original story. Even when she writes about
something fowl, Mercedes Lackey hits a home run.

Harriet Klausner

%T THE BLACK SWAN
%A Mercedes Lackey
I% Daw
%D May 1999
%O $24.95
%P 376 pp.
%G ISBN 0-88677-833-6