Subject: Review: A CALCULUS OF ANGELS by J. Gregory Keyes

From: David Brukman <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 May 1999 13:05:18 -0400

A CALCULUS OF ANGELS by J. Gregory Keyes
	Book review copyright 1999 David Brukman

SUBTITLE: The Age of Unreason: 2

The intriguing and unusual fantasy continues, with interesting characters,
a gritty feel, fragile love and a lot of fighting amid a world torn apart
by human alchemy and inhuman design.

Reviewed by David on May 09, 1999

GENRE: Fantasy (Weird Science, Alternate Reality, Intrigue, Historical,
War, Conspiracy)

SYNOPSIS: In the beginning of 18th century, the world has taken a left
turn: just 40 years ago, Sir Isaac Newton has discovered not only modern
calculus and the laws of motion, but also the foundations of Alchemy. In
the middle of an "industrial revolution" driven by rapid advances in
alchemy, the history has diverged drastically from our own. Among the
amazing innovations in communications, convenience and medicine,
unsurprisingly, the most progress has been made in the tools of
destruction. Spurred by inhuman influence and the passion of war, a
terrible weapon devastates much of Europe. In the desolate, barbaric
remains of Europe, the Ottoman and Russian empires strive for domination.

The novel follows Adrienne, a talented young Frenchwoman barely surviving
the fall of France, and learning to use her formerly impractical
mathematical skills in alchemical warfare to protect herself and her
friends.

In the meantime, the young colonial Ben Franklin travels with his
enigmatic Master, the unnaturally rejuvenated Sir Isaac Newton, from one
doomed city to another.

FULL REVIEW: _Newton's Canon_ introduced a fascinating but plausible world
where the basic laws of Alchemy have been discovered, and new marvels are
created not through blind experimentation but through mathematics and
engineering. The alchemy is powerful but obeys certain Aristotelian laws,
much like the Art in Melissa Scott's excellent _The Roads of Heaven_.

While Ben and Adrienne travel their own, separate but desperate paths
through the war-torn Europe, the American colonies, cut off from their
mother countries, temporarily form a fragile alliance between the French
and English, Pirate and Indian, to send an expedition to find what
happened to the Old World. The devastation they find is accompanied by the
increased menace of the Invisible World: one filled with beings that may
be Angels, Demons or Fairies, but which few can perceive. It seems the
humankind's discovery of the Aetheric world has allowed the beings that
dwell there to influence our world. And many of the denizens have little
love for humanity.

In the perilous flight, the author leavens pain and fear with an
occasional pinch of contentment, humor and even pleasure. This makes the
headlong adventure of the main protagonists, Ben and Adrienne both more
enjoyable and more suspenseful.

The book features significant development of both its heroes and the
technology, while keeping things consistent and, in general,
believable. Some of the secondary characters are less well drawn, but not
entirely cartoon-like. The machinations of the Aetheric beings are
increasingly pervasive, and the few humans that study them, including
Newton and Adrienne, race desperately to master their principles, the
"Calculus of Angels" as they steer the humanity toward destruction.

The book concludes with a devastating battle, and a partial resolution.
On the whole, this novel is remarkably well crafted, and presents an
original, consistent world. There are rather too many characters and plot
lines, which puts a strain on the reader, although many of them converge
by the end of the book. Along with Pullman's _His Dark Materials_, this is
one of the most refreshingly original "Weird Science" series in recent
years. I recommend Calculus along with its prequel.

Overall: 6.5; Plot: 7; Characters: 6.5; Style: 6; World-building: 7;
Originality: 7;

%A Keyes, J. Gregory
%D April 1999
%G ISBN 0-345-40607-9
%I Ballantine Publishing Group (Del Rey)
%O Trade papareback
%P 406 pp.
%T A Calculus of Angels
-- 
	David Brukman  "Long live Jame Talissen!"
Email:	[email-masked]
http://visitweb.com/InOtherWorlds  "Fantasy, SF & Mystery Reviews"