Subject: __A Philosophical Investigation__ by Philip Kerr Book Review

From: [email-masked] (C. Douglas Baker)
Date: 1 Jul 1993 06:43:51 GMT

A Philosophical Investigation by Philip Kerr
                 Book Review by C. Douglas Baker

     London 2013.  Genetic typing has allowed the British
government to identify men with a predisposition to serial
killing.  Now, someone is going around murdering all the men on
the list!  Thus is the setting for Kerr's __A Philosophical
Investigation__.

     As a science fiction work, Kerr has painted a very
believable future with a variety of insights on the day-to-day
ramifications of modern technology.  Gene typing allowing the
government to identify potential serial killers could be used for
nefarious purposes by an over zealous government.  In this case
Kerr avoids the "big brother" syndrome, instead showing that the
existence of this information becomes dangerous, despite the
government's humane intentions.  An example of the everyday
affect of new technology: a female detective gets a call in the
middle of the night from a colleague, answering her picta-phone
without thinking she inadvertently exposes herself and the caller
makes a lecherous comment about her breasts.  Homosexuals now use
a new, thicker condom less likely to break.  Overuse of "reality
approximation devices" (virtual reality), is likened to the
overuse of LSD; many who overuse such devices begin to lose touch
with reality.  None of these tidbits are at all central to the
story, but along with other small insights, build up a believable
future environment.

     Readers will recognize many of the developments in 2013
London, both technologically and socially.  Women continue to
advance in social equality.  Cynically Kerr depicts governmental
organizations, such as police forces, as being forced to accept
women equally.  One British Minister is a black female but a
former Olympic sprinter with good looks, which no doubt immensely
helped her raise to this position.  Again a pessimistic, although
realistic, depiction of the social advancement of women.  While
the women may not always be looked upon as equals by their male
colleagues, they continue to prove themselves the equal of men in
most cases, and in some tasks they are deemed even better.    

     Unfortunately, as a mystery novel, __A Philosophical
Investigation__ does not come off as well.  Kerr could have done
much more to add to the suspense of the novel.  The culprit is
found out early on and the conclusion seems preordained from that
point forward.  The tracking and catching of the killer is mildly
entertaining at times but for the most part is mundane.  

     The real strength of this book lies in its setting and the
creation of a recognizable 2013.  Kerr's understanding of the
ramifications of technological advances allows him to depict the
use of technology in a realistic, day-to-day fashion that is not
common in the science fiction genre.  The plot and story itself
are less satisfying but there is enough of interest here to
entertain the casual reader.  

%T A Philosophical Investigation
%A Philip Kerr
%C New York
%D 1992
%I Farrar, Straus, Giroux  $20.00 (hbk)
%G NO ISBN 
%P 329