Subject: Review: Ragnarock by Stephen Kenson

From: "Aaron M. Renn" <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Mar 2000 11:54:12 -0500

Ragnarock by Stephen Kenson
	Review Copyright (c) 2000 Aaron M. Renn

Conclusion: Worth Reading

There are two basic kinds of X-Files episodes, those that advance the
mythology of the series and those that don't.  The former seem to be the
ones people like the most.  So it is with Shadowrun novels too.  Luckily,
that's the type this one is, and we get to learn a number of interesting
things about the dragon Lofwyr and his ilk.

Shadowrun is a role playing game that also has some accompanying novels
that I'll admit I've gotten hooked on.  They provide a nice, short
escapist read in a cyberpunk/fantasy combat setting that I enjoy.  They
are definitely a great antidote to the 600+ page epic monstrosities that
are way too common in SF today.

Tommy Talon and his crew of shadow running mercenaries is hired by the
world's largest megacorporation to recover an artifact that went missing
from an excavation site.  This looks to be a pretty simple run, until they
find out they're not the only ones after it.

If you're looking for lots of mayhem and a nice minor mystery, this book
might be for you.  If you're looking for something profound, definitely
take a pass.

PS: I did not spell the title of this book wrong.  You'll have to read it
to find out more.

%A Kenson, Stephen
%T Ragnarock
%S Shadowrun
%I Roc/Penguin
%D 2000-02
%G ISBN 0-451-45774-9
%P 275 pp.
%O mass market paperback, US$5.95

Reviewed on 2000-02-13

Aaron M. Renn ([email-masked]) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/