Subject: Review: _Tigana_ by Guy Gavriel Kay

From: Mysterious Galaxy <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Oct 1997 14:51:15 -0400

_Tigana_ by Guy Gavriel Kay
		Review Copyright 1997 Elizabeth Baldwin

Looking for books to take on vacation that were stand-alone volumes, a
friend recommended _Tigana_, a fantasy novel he considered to be classic
and beautifully crafted. He was right.

Tigana is the name of a country remembered only in the minds and souls of
its crushed citizenry. 20 years earlier, Tigana was decimated by a
conquering wizard, Brandin of Yrgrath, when his beloved son Stevan was
killed in the first battle to overtake this country. It was a sorrow so
overwhelming for Brandin he ravaged Tigana, destroying her cities, culture
and history. Brandin's powers are so great, he is able to insure through
his magic that even when spoken, no one can hear or remember the name
Tigana except survivors.

One such survivor is the third son of Valentin, the last king of Tigana.
Now grown to manhood, Alessan plots a Machiavellian scheme to bring down
not only one, but two conquering wizards, in his plans to set free and
reclaim his country and his people.

Kay has created a living, passionate story told in depth and with style,
and has accomplished the telling of this beautiful tale, in one (albeit
large) volume. Originally published in 1990, it certainly took me long
enough to discover this gem. Somebody knows what they're doing by keeping
this novel in print! Highly recommended, in paperback from

%P Roc
%O $6.99

P.S Thank you, Joel!

-- Elizabeth Baldwin