Subject: Review: _The Barbed Coil_ by J. V. Jones

From: "Kevin B. Hewett" <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Sep 1997 19:20:10 GMT

_The Barbed Coil_ by J. V. Jones
		Review Copyright 1997 by Kevin B. Hewett

  J. V. Jones has written a novel which chronicles the conflict between
the untried magical abilities of a woman snatched from modern America with
the experience and knowledge of those in an alternate universe who would
use magic for conquest.  Although this basic plot is very similar to that
in Stephen R. Donaldson's duology "Mordant's Need" [_The Mirror of Her
Dreams_ (Del Rey, 1986) and _A Man Rides Through_ (Del Rey, 1987)], in
detail it is quite different.

  The magical ability that the heroine Tessa possesses is that of being
able to utilize the Medieval Illuminator's craft to affect the physical
world around her.  She is summoned to the city of Bay'Zell by the work of
a dying scribe for an unknown purpose.  She quickly finds herself
embroiled in intrigue as the mercenary, Ravis of Burano, who saves her
life is trying desperately to prevent the conquest of Bay'Zell.

  The first two thirds of this intricate novel involves Tessa seeking out
knowledge about her strange abilities while avoiding cutthroats, thieves
and assassins.  During her search for knowledge she discovers that her
abilities, long the province of the a monastic order, have been suppressed
for nearly five hundred years as a product of demonic influence.  This
leads her to a short stay on the Anointed Isle where she learns from an
old monk the true purpose of her summoning - the breaking of a spell cast
by the monks five centruries earlier that should never have been cast.

  The climax of this novel occurs when all of Tessa's new found abilities
are put to the test in attempting to break the spell, ending a war and a
warlords reign of terror.

  I highly recommend this novel for those who want to read a refreshing
fantasy with unique outlook upon the practise of magic.

%A Jones, J. V.
%T The Barbed Coil
%I Warner Books
%C New York
%D September 1997
%G ISBN 0-446-52109-4
%P 612 pp
%O hardcover, US $22.00

Kevin B. Hewett             [email-masked]
Dept. of Chemistry          [email-masked]
Kansas State University     http://www.flinthills.com/~hewett/
Manhattan, Kansas