Subject: "Blood Lines" by Tanya Huff

From: Rex Croft <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1993 00:39:50 GMT

"Blood Lines" by Tanya Huff
- reviewed by Rex Croft  [email-masked]

This is a police detective story involving mythical creatures.  The novel is
set in modern day Toronto, with the addition of a vampire.  The 450 year old
vampire Henry is a friend and lover of the two police officers Mike Celluci
and Vicki Nelson, although Vicki has had to resign from the force because of
worsening eyesight.

The story starts with an Egyptian sarcophagus being openned in a musemum.
Unfortunately the mummy inside isn't quite dead.  A god has preserved him.
The deaths he causes bring in the above two detectives.  And the vampire is
having trouble with a dream about the sun when he sleeps.  Not a good omen
for a vampire :-) .

The plot is well crafted and reaches a very good climax.

The book refers to previous escapades the three have had and it turns out
the author has written two previous novels in the series - "Blood Price" and
"Blood Trial".

For people who enjoy detective stories or vampire stories I recommend this
series.

I bought this book because I had enjoyed two other fantasy novels by Tanya
Huff - "Child of the Grove" and "The Last Wizard".

This author is on my "to buy" list.

%A  Tanya Huff
%T  Blood Lines
%I  DAW
%C  New York
%D  January 1993
%O  paperback, US$4.99
%P  271 pp.
%S  The Blood Series
%V  3
%O  DAW Book Collectors No. 901
%O  Cover art by John Jude Palencar