Subject: Review: Summon The Keeper-Tanya Huff

From: [email-masked] (Harriet Klausner)
Date: 27 Mar 1998 13:50:40 -0500

SUMMON THE KEEPER by Tanya Huff
		Review Copyright 1998 Harriet Klausner

   Magic is the ability to tap into an energy force that is outside the
ken of the real world. Every time someone does a good or bad deed a hole
in the barrier that separates the physical plane from the magical plane
appears.  The holes are monitored by Cousins, offspring of Adam and Lilith
to ensure no evil can escape into our world.  When a hole becomes big
enough to allow a magical creature to enter the mortal side, a keeper
attends to sealing up the portal.
   Clare Hanson has been a very busy keeper for many years.  She is
summoned to the Elysian Fields guest-house where she is tricked by a
sneaky Cousin into becoming the carekeeper.  Her first job is to seal the
hole to Hell without awakening the sleeping evil residing in a guest room
upstairs.  While pondering her project, Clare must deal with her
loquacious cat, who runs her life, catch the imps causing minor mischiefs,
resist the wiles of an amorous ghost, and protect the odd assortment of
guests that hover in what she considers the house from hell.
   Tanya Huff's new series is a brilliant creation that is sure to appeal
to readers of the Victoria Nelson vampire series, Cherry Scotch's werewolf
novels, and Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde books.  SUMMON THE KEEPER has
uniquely memorable and quirky characters, especially that darn cat and the
amorous ghost.  Clare is an interesting protagonist, who will be fun to
observe in future stories.  The story line is riveting with never a dull
moment.  SUMMON THE KEEPER is a keeper that will summon its readers into
buying future novels in the series.

%T Summon The Keeper
%A Tanya Huff
%I Daw
%O $5,99
%P 331 pp.
%D May 1998
%G ISBN: 0-88677-784-4

Harriet Klausner