Subject: REVIEW: WHO'S AFRAID OF BEOWULF? by Tom Holt

From: [email-masked] (Evelyn C Leeper +1 908 957 2070)
Date: 19 Nov 91 19:13:19 GMT

WHO'S AFRAID OF BEOWULF? by Tom Holt
                        A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper
			 Copyright 1991 Evelyn C. Leeper

        Since I thought Holt's EXPECTING SOMEONE TALLER was the funniest
   writing since Anna Russell summarized the Ring, I eagerly awaited this book,
   which was actually first published before EXPECTING SOMEONE TALLER.  Was I
   disappointed?  Well, I hoped for (expected?) a 10 and got only a 9, so in a
   sense I was.  I guess what I'm saying is that you *can* finish your
   breakfast before rushing out to buy this book.

        One thing it has going for it (in addition to Holt's style, of course)
   is that it is not a prequel, sequel, coquel, or in any other way related to
   EXPECTING SOMEONE TALLER.  No Norse gods inhabit WHO'S AFRAID OF BEOWULF?,
   just Vikings, chthonic spirits, and the odd sorcerer or two.  Oh, yes, and
   an archaeologist to serve as the "straight man" (or in this case, "straight
   woman," and the reference is theatrical, not sexual).  Not surprisingly,
   having all these beings from a thousand or more years ago running around in
   20th Century England causes some difficulty.  (Even in Scotland, they're a
   bit outre', but in London, they're real standouts.)  But they adapt
   surprisingly well--the sorcerers are even running a multi-national, which
   probably surprises no one.

        In short, Holt was *not* a one-book author and shows promise of
   becoming the best fantasy humorist around.  Buy this book!

   %T      WHO'S AFRAID OF BEOWULF?
   %A      Tom Holt
   %C      New York
   %D      September 1991
   %I      Ace
   %O      paperback, US$4.50 [1989]
   %G      ISBN 0-441-88591-8
   %P      206pp

Evelyn C. Leeper   |   +1 908 957 2070   |   att!mtgzy!ecl or [email-masked]