Subject: AUTHOR'S CHOICE MONTHLY 14: Nina Kiriki Hoffman

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Aug 91 19:24:00 GMT

AUTHOR'S CHOICE MONTHLY 14: Nina Kiriki Hoffman
                          Pulphouse, 1990, $4.95.
                     A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper
		      Copyright (c) 1991 Evelyn C. Leeper

     A while ago I reviewed James Morrow's AUTHOR'S CHOICE MONTHLY from
Pulphouse; now it's Nina Kiriki Hoffman's.  This is number fourteen in the
series, titled LEGACY OF FIRE (though since this appears only on the title
page, not on the cover, you're better off looking by number).  As with all
the "Author's Choice" books, the physical book itself is wonderful to hold:
parchment-like covers, cream-colored pages that are easy on the eyes, and a
cover by George Barr.

     Hoffman writes in a literary style, with a lot of use of first-person
narratives.  This gives the reader a feeling of being right in the story,
and the introductory comments on how the stories came to be written
underscore a very personal involvement on Hoffman's part as well.

     The title story is about wishes, and dreams, and being an outsider, and
choices.  There is only minimal fantasy content (if any--whether it derives
>from the TWILIGHT ZONE episode "What You Need" is left for you to decide).
"Drawing on the Kitchen Table" has no fantasy aspect, but is about art and
using art to communicate.

     "Savage Breasts," on the other hand, *is* fantasy, and wickedly funny
fantasy at that.  Ever on the quest for thematic pairings, I suggest this
and Suzy McKee Charnas' "Boobs" as well-matched.  (This topic provides
enormous opportunity for jokes and puns.  I will forbear.)

     After the light-heartedness of "Savage Breasts," the depression of
"Tremors" is almost too jarring.  I also found "Tremors" too similar in
theme and execution to many other stories to stand out in this collection.
And while the following story, "Universal Donor," is original, it didn't do
anything for me.  "The Black Knitting Needle" had power; however, it derives
more from the underlying (true) story much more than from the telling.

     "Measuring Up to Shadows" is similar to "Legacy of Fire" in its look at
how we are affected by other people's perceptions and expectations of us,
but has a much higher fantasy content.  Is that the shade of Robert Burns
chanting, "Oh wad some power the giftie gie us / To see oursels as others
see us!"

     "Coming Home" is a classic horror story, with an ending you won't see
coming.  You think you will, but trust me, you won't.

     The final story, "Work of Art," is related to "Drawing on the Kitchen
Table" in that it examines art and its place in our lives.  However, it
tries to elevate art to a higher level than the average person perceives it.
If you don't agree with this view, you will probably find the story annoying
rather than moving, but you will find yourself thinking about it either way.
These two stories emphasize what all her stories demonstrate: that Hoffman
considers writing art rather than just a way to make a living.

     Nina Kiriki Hoffman's work is hard to find.  I discovered her in WEIRD
TALES, and the stories in this book appeared in such magazines as
SNAPDRAGON, PULPHOUSE, and ARGONAUT.  I find her choice of stories--for this
is "Author's Choice"--interesting in that I enjoyed other stories of hers
more (e.g., "Rumors of Greatness," "Courting Disasters," "Little Once," and
"Exact Change"), but I would still recommend this volume as the easiest way
to get acquainted with a promising author.

     (Your local bookstore almost definitely won't carry this, and there is
no ISBN, so you can order direct from Pulphouse Publishing, P. O. Box 1227,
Eugene OR 97440.)

%T      Legacy of Fire
%A      Nina Kiriki Hoffman
%C      Eugene, Oregon, USA
%D      1990
%I      Pulphouse
%O      trade paperback, US$4.95
%G      no ISBN
%P      116pp
%B      Legacy of Fire
%S      Author's Choice Monthly
%V      14

Evelyn C. Leeper   |   +1 908 957 2070   |   att!mtgzy!ecl or [email-masked]