Subject: GUILTY PLEASURES

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 1994 02:22:02 GMT

GUILTY PLEASURES
			     by	
			Laurell K. Hamilton
				a
			Review by Ray Tate

	GUILTY PLEASURES is a horror novel classified as fantasy and
shelved under science fiction.  Confused? Apparently if the book
doesn't have a skeleton or a child with glowing eyes on its cover,
the book can't be classified as horror.  It's the law.  However, this
is horror.  The story takes place at a time when vampires have been
given the rights of living citizens and features a likable hero--Anita
Blake or as the vampires have come to know her, the Executioner, no
relation to Mr. Bolan.  When a vampire crosses the line (Being citizens
they too must obey the laws), Anita is called in to take care of the
problem.

	"How would you like that stake, sir? Wooden, please."

	A number of vampires have been found dead, and the vampire
lord arranges for a meeting with Anita to find the culprit.  This
is not a spoiler, believe me.  GUILTY PLEASURES is a book for people
who have grown tired of the oh-so-sexy-yet-oh-so-misunderstood
vampire and long for the return of the predatory monsters exemplified
by the likes of Max Shreck and Christopher Lee.  This is not a book in
which you will find the Frank Langella disco Dracula.  This is not a
book in which the heroine trips on her high heels to allow the monster
to catch up to her during the chase.  This book was written by a woman
tired of cliches.  Laurell Hamilton's style is crisp and clear.  The
descriptions for the most part leave the reader with good visuals, and
there are a many nods to Raymond Chandler, Hammer Films and of all things
DOCTOR WHO--anyone having seen "Remembrance of the Daleks" will know
what I'm talking about after they read the book.  In short, a very cool
first volume in what must become a series.

%A Laurell K. Hamilton 
%T Guilty Pleasure 
%S Anita Blake:Vampire Hunter 
%V Number One
%I Ace Books;Fantas 
%D October 1993 
%G ISBN 0-441-30483- 
%O pb; price:$4.99 USA