Subject: Caveat: Violent Stars by Phyllis Gotlieb

From: [email-masked] (P.D. TILLMAN)
Date: 13 Jan 2000 10:24:35 -0500

Caveat: Violent Stars by Phyllis Gotlieb		
	Review Copyright 2000 Peter D. Tillman

Rating: "B-" -- disappointing sequel to Flesh & Gold (98)

I liked Flesh & Gold a lot, recommended it, & was looking forward to the
sequel. Well, here it is, and I had to struggle to finish it. The book
just didn't make sense! There are all sorts of extraneous pulpy subplots,
and a setup for *another* sequel. Ick.

To be fair, there are some beautifully-written parts, and it has a nice
cover.  I've seen two positive reviews:

Tom Easton's (Oct 99):	http://www.analogsf.com
and Susan Dunman's:	http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue115/books.html#vs

So YMMV. But it sure didn't work for me.

%D May 1999
%I Tor
%O $24
%P 284 pp
%G ISBN 0-312-86953-3

Read more of my reviews (including Flesh & Gold ):
http://www.silcom.com/~manatee/reviewer.html#tillman