Subject: Review: RUNAWAY TIME by Deborah Gordon

From: "Evelyn C Leeper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 22:20:30 GMT

RUNAWAY TIME by Deborah Gordon
                   A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper
		    Copyright 1996 Evelyn C. Leeper

     Sara Maravich goes back from our future to 1865 to try to save Lincoln.
She arrives late, however, and instead falls in love with Tyson Stone
(a.k.a. Thomas Jefferson Reid).  This is basically a historical romance; the
alternate history aspect is dealt with mainly by people from the future
returning to the past and talking about it.  Apparently, anyone who sees a
time traveler go back remembers both the "original" future and the changed
one.

     There was one glaring anachronism: Reid talks about Maravich sleeping
like a vampire in the daytime.  While there was some notion of vampires at
that time, the concept did not achieve widespread popularity until after
Bram Stoker wrote DRACULA at the end of the century.

     The two alternate history romances I reviewed earlier at least had the
virtue of showing the reader a changed world.  One was Maura Seger's
PERCHANCE TO DREAM, in which the Confederacy wins the Civil War; the other
was Seger's FORTUNE'S TIDE, in which the American Revolution fails.  This
one is just a time-travel romance set in the post-Civil War period with a
few references to possible changes somewhere down the line, and is not
recommended for alternate history fans.

%T      Runaway Time
%A      Deborah Gordon
%C      New York
%D      October 1995
%I      Avon
%O      paperback, US$5.50
%G      ISBN 0-380-77759-2
%P      404pp

Evelyn C. Leeper | +1 908 957 2070 | [email-masked] <==NOTE NEW ADDRESS
"People are worried about online porn on the Internet. It's the endless
`Who's better--Kirk or Picard?' threads that *should* scare them."
             -- Jim Mullen, _Entertainment Weekly_