Subject: Review: Neverwhere, by Gaiman

From: Harriet Klausner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 02:17:17 GMT

NEVERWHERE by Neil Gaiman
	Review Copyright 1998 Harriet Klausner

    Three years ago, Richard Mayhew left Scotland for London, expecting to
take the securities world by storm.  Instead, Richard has just become an
average bloke, bored with his life.  While escorting his girlfriend
Jessica to a fancy restaurant, Richard finds a girl bleeding from a knife
wound.  Jessica wants Richard to stay out of it, but for once he ignores
her and takes the girl to the safety of his pad.
    Richard might have reconsidered his gallant act if he had known what
he had gotten involved in.  He now knows that underneath the London
streets, deep in the abandoned stations that dot the tubes and in the most
obscure sewer tunnels, lies an underground culture that insists on
anonymity from the surface world.  Knowledge could mean death.
     NEVERWHERE is a wonderful magic carpet ride into a nightmarish world
that will be a fantasy reader's dream.  The story line is humorous, crisp,
but utterly frightening.  The characters on both sides of the street are
intriguing, especially those who literally live in the underbelly of the
city.  Comic book superstar -- see THE SANDMAN for an incredible
experience -- Neil Gaiman has scribed a thriller that is bound to make him
a household name among fans of dark fantasies.
  
Harriet Klausner

%T NEVERWHERE
%A Neil Gaiman
%I Avon
%D Nov 1998
%O $6.99
%P 384 pp.
%G ISBN 0-380-78901-9