Subject: Review: Stardust, by Neil Gaiman

From: Harriet Klausner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 19:47:34 GMT

STARDUST by Neil Gaiman
	Review Copyright 1998 Harriet Klausner

There seems to be no English village place more secluded than the small
town of Wall, which abuts the land of the Faerie. The only entrance to and
from the rest of the country is through an impenetrable wall that soldiers
guard as well as Queen Victoria is protected.  Tristan Thorn loves local
resident Victoria Forester deeply, but she is as compassionate as a
turtle.  Tristan is prepared to do anything to win the heart of his
beloved, but any passion she might have is buried inside the most frozen
of feelings.

When the pair observe a falling star, Tristan sees an omen that his quest
to obtain Victoria's love has just begun. He sets off to collect the star
to give to Victoria as a token of his love. However, Tristan, who is
unaware that part of his genetic make-up is Faerie, has competition from a
witch and the Dark Lords, who know that the stars contain much power.
Tristan's chances of succeeding, let alone living, against his evil
opponents seem so slight that even Lloyd's would not accept a bet on him.
Still, driven by love, who knows what dangers he might overcome.

Neil Gaiman is perhaps, the best comic book writer of the nineties (sorry
Mr. Ennis, this is not preaching). He has written a highly regarded novel,
NEVERWHERE, that previously showcased his immense talent. His second book,
STARDUST, demonstrates that Mr. Gaiman is clearly a top fantasy writer.
The story line is a brilliant combination of a magical quest with a
beautiful love story that has the Gaiman touch. The Sandman will have a
difficult time trying to put readers to sleep while they peruse this
exciting novel.

Harriet Klausner

%T Stardust
%A Neil Gaiman
%I Avon
%D January 1999
%O $22.00 hardcover
%P 256 pp
%G ISBN 0-380-97728-1