Subject: Review: THE CHIMERA PROJECT by R. Gaborski

From: [email-masked] (Ted Pawlicki)
Date: 16 Dec 93 01:02:53 GMT

The Chimera Project, by Roger S. Gaborski, is the first person
account of a murder investigation as told by one John Pearlman,
special investigator for the State Department. In this story, Pearlman
has been assigned to look into the apparently accidental death of a
brilliant Russian scientist who had defected to the U.S. years before
the winds of Glasnost had swept through the Kremlin. Given the end of
the Cold War, all the characters expect Pearlman's investigation to be
a routine closing of an old file. It isn't long, however, before
Pearlman and the reader are swept into the complex scene of
biotechnology research applied to a new generation computers as well
as the underworld of international, high technology, industrial
espionage. A diverse group of characters suddenly become interested in
the late scientist's work, key aspects of which seem to have
disappeared.
	The tension of the puzzle is interspersed with an insider's
view of office politics amid the big egos of the intelligence and
research communities. Pearlman, the main character, has struggles not
associated with the bad guys alone. He has to balance his desire to
tell off his manipulative supervisor with realistic career
considerations. The tension of Pearlman's inner struggles also project
into his romantic liaisons. This struggle is developed through
relationships with two female characters, one who represents the
traditional, non-threatening passive woman, and one who represents the
strong, independent modern woman. Pearlman needs both of these
characters to crack the riddle of the scientist's death, but what
begins as strictly professional contacts take on a life of their own
as the plot develops.
	The style of prose is kept concise and action oriented as the
mystery develops. The technology surrounding biological computing is
discussed in enough detail to pique one's interest, but avoids the
excessive detail associated with some works in the techno-thriller
genre. The backdrop of high-tech industrial research poses an
interesting setting for post Cold War espionage stories. This reviewer
found the book to be enjoyable and easily approachable reading. The
murder investigation aspect of this book will appeal to mystery
fans. Readers of Science Fiction should find the how the characters
deal with issues surrounding biotechnology applied to computer science
of significant interest. The interpersonal tension of bureaucratic 
office politics and the romantic sub-plots add spice to the story, but
are, in themselves, incidental to the book's overall impact.

	The Chimera Project
	Roger S. Gaborski
	ISBN #1-56901-120-6

	Northwest Publishing
	5949 S 350 West
	Salt Lake City, UT  84107
	1-800-398-2102
	1-801-266-5900
	FAX: 1-801-266-5965

%A Gaborski, Roger S.
%T The Chimera Project
%I Northwest Publishing
%C Salt Lake City, UT
%D 1993
%G ISBN #1-56901-120-6
%O trade paperback, US$8.95
%O order from NorthWest Publishing 1-800-398-2102 

Ted Pawlicki 
[email-masked]   

possunt quia posse videntur