Subject: Review: _In Conquest Born_ by C.S. Friedman

From: [email-masked] (Mean Green Dancing Machine)
Date: 16 Sep 1996 11:52:38 -0400

_In Conquest Born_, by C.S. Friedman
		Reviewed by Aahz, copyright 1996

Star-spanning galactic empire!
*Two* star-spanning galactic empires!
Spaceships!
Sword fights!
  (oops, that last a slight exaggeration)

And, to top it off, instead of a protagonist (or multiple protagonists), we
have two antagonists.

With that, Friedman turns the traditional space opera on its head, focusing
with such a fine balance on two characters who hate each other that neither
gets your full sympathy.  Or, perhaps, despite their awesome talents, both
are at the mercy of forces so much larger than them that they both merit
full sympathy.

Like all space opera, the basic plot is simple: two galactic empires have
been at each other's throat for centuries and have reached a semi-stable
stalemate.  In each empire, a leader rises who forces a new, final level of
confrontation.

It's the details that make _In Conquest Born_ stand out: the fully
fleshed-out main characters, the realistic supporting characters, the
conflicting societies, and the intertwined stories.  _In Conquest Born_ is
Friedman's first SF novel (and may well be zir first published work), yet it
shows the polish of a neurotic regard for detail at all levels; it is the
best first work I have ever seen, and I would rate it easily on a par with
_A Fire Upon the Deep_.

Even now, after re-reading 8 or 10 times, the ending still has enough power
to bring a lump to my throat.

Despite the attention paid to character development, Friedman includes
enough technological detail to keep most hard-SF fans happy.  Zir
descriptions of various societies are fascinating, though without the alien
feeling Vernor Vinge and C.J. Cherryh achieve at their best.

The superb cover by Michael Whelan adds to the dramatic tension.

All in all, this is a book that belongs on your shelf, for you'll probably
want to read it several times.

%A Friedman, C.S.
%T In Conquest Born
%I Daw
%C New York
%D 1986
%G ISBN 0-88677-198-6
%P 511pp
%O paperback

                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)