Subject: C.S. Friedman's "In Conquest Born"

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 May 87 23:49:34 GMT

At last, someone who writes like Frank Herbert would like to but never
did.   

A book full of subtle (and not-so-subtle) manipulation, feints
within feints, and quick turnabouts,  lacking nothing but the self-
congratulatory chapter headings that Herbert was so pleased with.

I'll have to agree with Chuq on the **** rating.  Friedman's universe
is quite convincing, and has enough reality of its own to make character
types like "Braxana'" and "Azean" useful concepts.  (Heinlein says that
writers with imagination and style actually create the universes they
write about, on some weird plane.  If he's right, there's now one more
nifty universe among the 6^6^6.)

The book is difficult to put down, since the action is one long crescendo
from start to finish.  (Sort of a literate Ravel's Bolero.)

Bravo (brava?), C.S.    Your audience awaits more.

-steve
-- 
-------------
| "Because I'm not left-handed either..." -The Man In Black
|
| Steve Rapaport, U. of Waterloo.  ...!ihnp4!watmath!watcgl!sjrapaport