Subject: ART IN THE BLOOD by P.N. Elrod Book Review by C. Douglas Baker

From: [email-masked] (C. Douglas Baker)
Date: 15 Mar 1994 20:49:56 GMT

ART IN THE BLOOD by P.N. Elrod
                 Book Review by C. Douglas Baker
                         [Minor Spoiler]

     After BLOODCIRCLE, Book Three of the Vampire Files, I
wondered where the story would lead since the mystery of
Maureen's disappearance had been solved.  In ART IN THE BLOOD,
Book Four of the Vampire Files, Jack Fleming, our moralist
vampire, befriends a group of artists and eventually finds
himself in the middle of a murder investigation.  Notice I said
"eventually".  ART IN THE BLOOD is meandering and irritating
because half of the book could have been removed with little
effect on the plot and storyline.  The first third of the book is
interesting but nothing much happens.  The novel mucks around for
awhile after the murder occurs.  Finally, Jack has an insight as
to who the murderer is and uses his hypnotic powers of persuasion
to get at the truth.  All in all not much of story.

     ART IN THE BLOOD is a disappointment after three fairly
entertaining jaunts.  Having read the series in order the
familiarity of the characters kept me minimally interested. 
Unless you just must complete a series once you start it like me,
I would recommend skipping ART IN THE BLOOD.

%T Art in the Blood
%A P.N. Elrod
%C New York
%D 1991
%I Ace  $3.95 (pbk)
%G ISBN 0-441-85945-3 (pbk)
%P 195