Subject: LIFEBLOOD by P.N. Elrod Book Review by C. Douglas Baker

From: [email-masked] (cb52)
Date: 10 Mar 94 01:18:47 GMT

LIFEBLOOD by P.N. Elrod
                 Book Review by C. Douglas Baker

     I described Elrod's BLOODLIST, Book One of The Vampire Files
as "comic book quality action/adventure with a bit of the
supernatural thrown in".  LIFEBLOOD, Book Two of The Vampire
Files, is more of the same.  LIFEBLOOD continues the saga of Jack
Fleming, former reporter, part-time private detective, full-time
vampire.

     LIFEBLOOD brings back all the key characters from the
previous novel and the story pretty much picks up where BLOODLIST
left off.  We find Fleming still searching for the elusive
Maureen, his lost love.  We also discover more of Maureen's past
and why she fled from Fleming in New York.  Jack meets Maureen's
sister, now a gnarled and bitter old woman, after she responds to
his advertisement in the personal column.  This meeting marks the
beginning of a life and death struggle for Jack.  He is chased by
two comical and inept vampire hunters who Fleming, not always so
swift himself, easily dupes.  But he also runs into a more
diabolical and intelligent foe who nearly kills him. 

     LIFEBLOOD is actually better than the first novel because it
is much funnier and the plot is less thin.  Escott plays a key
role in his investigation of Maureen's past and once again has to
save Fleming's vampiric hide (which I guess is kind of a spoiler
but you knew he would pull through, right?).  Elrod again does a
nice job of providing humor and creating entertaining characters 
And Fleming continues to have an unfortunate proclivity for
getting shot in the head or otherwise severely mangled.  It all
makes for good if not clean (blood stains) fun.  

%T Lifeblood
%A P.N. Elrod
%C New York
%D 1990
%I Ace  $3.95 (pbk)
%G ISBN 0-441-84776-5 (pbk)
%P 202

C. DOUGLAS BAKER
Email: [email-masked]