Subject: Review of _A_Man_of_His_Word_ series by Dave Duncan

From: [email-masked] (Wayne Throop)
Date: 24 Jun 91 23:33:03 GMT

%A   Dave Duncan
%B   A Man of His Word
%D   July 1991
%G   0-345-36630-1
%I   Ballantine Books (Del Rey)
%T   Perilous Seas

Composed of
   _The_Magic_Casement_
   _Faery_Lands_Forlorn_
   _Perilous_Seas_
   _Emperor_and_Clown_ (not yet published)

		Review Copyright (c) 1991 Wayne Throop

This is a series in progress by Dave Duncan.  Duncan has shown noticeable
improvement since his _The_Seventh_Sword_ series, and I thought
_The_Seventh_Sword_ was pretty good.  And in addition to improved technique,
the basic background of the book has some very interesting features to
explore.

First, like Donaldson's _Mordant's_Need_, Duncan has come up with an
interesting, well-thought-out basis for the magic effects in the series.
Magic is based on Words of Power.  Not, as in LeGuin's Earthsea, words in a
First Language that manipulate their referents, but rather words that give
"powers and abilities" to humans who know them.

Knowing a single word makes one a "genius", two an "adept", three a "mage",
four a "sorceror".  There is some sort of limit at four.  A genius has
essentially "one superpower", such as clairvoyance, or strength, or charm,
or whatnot.  An adept can learn any human skill almost instantly, and
normally has several "superpowers".  A mage can work illusions and temporary
physical magical effects.  A sorcerer can create permanent independent
spells.  (This is, of course, a much simplified version of the basic notion.
For one example, why not tell your friends your word if you know one? This
issue is addressed.)

In addition to this, the human races in the story are named after
supernatural races in our world: Imps, Elves, Gnomes, Goblins, Fauns,
Pixies, Faeries, etc.  Duncan makes good use of this interesting feature in
several regards, keeping his comments on human prejudice and prejudgement
>from being too cliche because of the novel context.

The series (with three of the four issued so far) follows the adventures of
the Princess of Krasnegar, Inoson, and her loyal (but lowly) subject Rap.
Inoson is of mixed Imp/Jotnar blood, and Rap is of mixed Faun/Jotnar blood.
As one might expect in an adventure with a princess, the succession of the
throne of Krasnegar is a turbulent one, and is in crisis in passing to
Inoson.

Complicating events are the mysterious motives and legacy of the founder of
the realm several generations ago, a sorcerer or mage who divided his Words
of Power among his children, along with twisty politics and scheming both on
the large stage of the Roman-Empire-Like Imp-ire and also local squabbles
for power, both magical and mundane.

Suffice to say that adventure ensues.

The three books in the series so far have been fast-paced and full of
adventure, so as to drag you along for a fine ride, as well as having
complex, plausible societal underpinnings.  The mood varies from dashing
adventure, to dry humor, to complicated intrigue, to reflective
contemplation.

In case you couldn't tell, I like the series, and am looking forward to the
concluding book.
--
Wayne Throop  ...!mcnc!dg-rtp!sheol!throopw