Subject: Review: A Plague of Change, L.Warren Douglas

From: [email-masked] (A.Daviel)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1992 06:24:00 GMT

According to the postscript, this is the authors first published novel.
I found it mature for a first novel. The characters are moderately detailed, 
nothing in the science grates on my nerves; it was a good read. I'll probably
get his next book.

There is a bit of detail on computer systems, but nothing too outre. 
Descriptions of alien language and genetic science are absorbing.

ISBN 0-345-37828-8
Del Rey/ Ballantine Books

Spoilers (mostly from the back cover)

Beyond the antimatter barrier known as the Reef, the stellar systems are low 
in heavier trace elements. The human colonies rely on interstellar trade for
these elements; with economic collapse and piracy, colonies are failing, some
turning to cannibalism. Computer prodidgy Bass Cannon finds a possible
solution on the planet Phastillan, a psatla colony. The psatla rely on human
technology to terraform (psatlaform) their colony planet, communicate by
pheromones, and can manipulate the genes of any species. Bass didn't realize
that his experiences would make him a radical, a visionary, and possibly the
savior of his own species. 

--
 Andrew Daviel, Vancouver, Canada