Subject: REVIEW: "Ribofunk", Paul Di Filippo

From: "Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Oct 1999 11:11:36 -0400

"Ribofunk", Paul Di Filippo
	Review Copyright 1999 Robert M. Slade

I have previously commented on the timidity of science fiction writers,
particularly when dealing with the far future.  This particular collection
of stories is set less than a hundred years on, but is very bold in
prognosticating for the fields of biological research and genetics and, to
a lesser extent, nanotechnology and artificial intelligence.  Bold, but by
no means foolhardy.  While specific technologies will undoubtedly run into
difficulties, the power of the topics, and the rapid changes they might
create, are presented realistically and entertainingly.
 
While technical details are not examined in great depth, there are still a
few troublesome areas.  Power and energy requirements are seldom
mentioned, and are unrealistic in the case of DNA enhancements that
temporarily create great strength and endurance, as well as a river, the
flow of which is enhanced by a nanotechnical component.  A number of
systems are used for espionage and defence.  Containment measures, such as
programmed "expiry" dates, are mentioned, but in only one case does the
technology escape its bounds.

Genetic engineering and body modification are the major subjects in most
stories.  Prejudice, both social and legal, against deviation from "basal"
human genetic stock is a fairly common thread.  A social spectrum of
reactions for and against modification is nicely arrayed for examination.
The activities and function proposed tend to be realistic or, at least,
capable of construction in some way.

Nanotechnology is mentioned, and used, fairly often, but isn't explained
or reviewed in any depth.  Di Filippo is fairly reserved in this regard,
although the concept does turn out to be the most powerful one in the
book.

Artificial intelligence turns up frequently, but is not a strong point.  A
nice touch is the use of a rating scale measured in "Turings," but
comparison between the various levels is difficult.  If Hans Moravec's
forecast is correct then Di Filippo is a little conservative, but not by
much.

While there is generally a "genopunk" feel to a lot of the material, the
mood is remarkably upbeat.  Virtue tends to be rewarded, and bad manners
punished.  Humour is fairly broad, with a lot of heavy handed and unsubtle
irony.  The attempt to build a future slang can be difficult to read.
"Trumps" and "forbeses" references are easy enough to figure out when
dealing with economic activity, but "kibe," "Peej," and "Haj" still have
me somewhat puzzled.  Did I also detect a Kaminsky reference in one of the
stories?  It would fit with the general tone.  Overall, however, the
meaning of the narrative is easy enough to follow, even if the origin of
some terms is not clear.

This author is creative and imaginative, and, with a little maturing,
could be very interesting indeed.

%A   Paul Di Filippo
%C   1350 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10019
%D   1996
%G   0-380-73076-6
%I   Avon Books
%O   +1-800-238-0658 http://www.avonbooks.com/Eos
%P   241 p.
%T   "Ribofunk"

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
[email-masked]  [email-masked]  [email-masked] [email-masked]
Canada, the designated driver of North America         - John Rogers
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade