Subject: "Dancer of the Sixth" by Michelle Crean

From: Rex Croft <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1993 00:41:08 GMT

"Dancer of the Sixth" by Michelle Shirey Crean
- reviewed by Rex Croft  [email-masked]

I really don't know how to categorise this book.  I feel that it didn't need
to be a SciFi book.  It is mainly about atmospheric flying and romance, and
the interaction of the characters.

The story revolves arround a woman ace pilot called Dancer who is now part
of the secret sixth service.  She is based on the planet "O'Brian's Stake"
with a group of Auryx.  The Auryx are a genetically bred race of humans who
all look alike.  They were created by the enemy (Karranganthians) as a slave
race of telepaths.  The Auryx rebelled and are fighting back.

We learn that Dancer was tortured by the Karranganthians and left for dead.
An Auryx party found her nearly dead and using advanced medical techniques
restored her body and mind, and blocked memories of some of her past.

The discovery of a young woman looking like Dancer after a plane nearly
crashes starts a series of flash backs as we learn more about Dancer joining
the Auryx.

Dancer's life desire to be flying is strongly pushed.  This is not
supprising given that the author is an aviation researcher and is married to
a USAF officer (as the note at the back of the book states).  Dancer's
romantic involvement with an Auryx is the other major theme.

The book is well enough written and except for some parts when Dancer is
recovering in hospital the plot moves along quickly.

I won't be adding this book to my collection.

%A  Michelle Shirey Crean
%T  Dancer of the Sixth
%I  Del Rey Discovery
%C  New York
%D  March 1993
%O  paperback, US$3.99
%P  302 pp.
%G  ISBN 0-345-37912-8