Subject: Review: The Winter Queen by Devin Cary

From: "Aaron M. Renn" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Jan 2000 10:29:37 -0500

The Winter Queen by Devin Cary
	Review Copyright (c) 2000 Aaron M. Renn

Conclusion: Marginal

I believe this is the first book by Cary, and unfortunately it's not a
particularly strong effort.  It's got all the cliched elements I don't
like in fantasy novels: the depressing, pseudo-medieval setting; the
strong female character struggling to find her place in a male dominated
world; the coutiers more interested in their own power than the well-being
of the kingdom; and so on.  On the other hand, the book is very short, and
could possible be valuable as light entertainment filler.

King Ethelred of Albor dies, leaving a wife and an heir far too young to
rule.  On his death bed, he names his queen as his preferred regent,
touching off a mad scramble among the court nobles, most of whom have
ambitions to be regent themsevles and see Queen Elissa - and any other
woman for that matter - as unfit to rule.  Elissa must prove herself
worthy to be regent, overcoming everything the nobles can throw at her, as
well as her own inexperience.

This book is self-contained, but clearly a sequel has been set up.

%A Cary, Devin
%T The Winter Queen
%I Ace
%D 1999-12
%G ISBN 0-441-00681-7
%P 282 pp.
%O mass market paperback, US$5.99

Reviewed on 2000-01-10

Aaron M. Renn ([email-masked]) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/