Subject: Review: Flesh and Silver by Stephen L. Burns

From: "Aaron M. Renn" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Aug 1999 13:51:06 -0400

Flesh and Silver by Stephen L. Burns
	Review Copyright (c) 1999 Aaron M. Renn

Conclusion: Marginal

I believe this is a first novel for Burns and it shows.  His writing style
is, well, a bit amateurish.  He makes up for this with an interesting
premise and a solid plot, though neither is really sufficient to carry a
story of this length in my opinion.  The preface implies that this is an
expansion of three short stories, two of which appeared in Analog.  I
think Burns would have been better off sticking to short fiction on this
one.

Georgory Marchey is a Bergmann Surgeon.  A scientist discovered that the
sensation of lost limbs experienced by some amputees can actually be used
as a kinetic force.  The Bergmann Surgeons had their forearms voluntarily
amputated and use this force to directly manipulate the flesh of the
patients, performing feats no other doctor can manage.  However, various
side effects of this method surgery cause society to shun the Bergmann
Surgeons, and they travel from assignment to assignment as lonely
outcasts.

Gory, as Dr. Marchey is more commonly known, deals with his problems
through alcohol.  He's content to live out his days in a vodka induced
fog, but then one day an angel shows up in his life and everything
changes.

While Flesh and Silver left me a bit underwhelmed, it was a quick read and
I don't regret buying it.  With all there is to keep up with out there in
the SF world though, I probably would not have picked it up if I had to do
everything over again.  But with a bit more experience as a writer, and a
meatier story, I'd probably be willing to give Burns another chance in the
future.

%A Burns, Stephen L.
%T Flesh and Silver
%I New American Library/Roc
%D 1999-08
%G ISBN 0-451-45752-8
%P 338 pp.
%0 mass market paperback, US$5.95

Reviewed on 1999-08-21

Aaron M. Renn ([email-masked]) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/