Subject: Review: When Demons Walk by Patricia Briggs

From: [email-masked] (HKlaus6073)
Date: 02 Jul 1998 11:14:40 -0400

WHEN DEMONS WALK by Patricia Briggs
	Review Copyright 1998 Harriet Klausner

Southwood is a land that has been conquered by the Cybellians. Unlike the
natives, the conquerors do not believe in magic and fear it when it seems
to happen. During the initial invasion, the king's wizard Maur used magic,
resulting in him being blinded and his hands severed, Shamera has spent
the last twelve years caring for her master, but now he has been murdered
by the same person who has slain several Cybellian lords.

The most powerful Cybellian warrior is now the ruler. He wants the murders
stopped and the killer brought to justice. The Reeve, Lord Kerim, brings
Shamera to the castle to see if the pair working as a team can root out
the murderer. She agrees and is installed in the castle as his mistress.
Shamera discovers what the perpetrator is even though she does not know
who he is. She knows that she must convince a skeptical lord that magic is
real if they are to stop a growing evil that thrives on death.

Patricia Briggs is a natural storyteller, whose imaginary world seems to
be based in part on the Saxon people a decade after William's victory
though Kerim seems less ruthless than the Conqueror. The use of magic
parallels that of pagan magic and comes across as quite believable.
Hopefully, WHEN DEMONS WALK is the debut book of what appears to be a
great series. Ms. Briggs is an enchanter who casts a magical tale.

Harriet Klausner

%T When Demons Walk
%A Patricia Briggs
%I Ace
%D Jun 1998
%O $5.99
%P 272 pp.
%G ISBN 0-441-00534-9