Subject: Nonfiction: STAR WARS: THE ANNOTATED SCRIPTS by Laurent Bouzerau

From: [email-masked] (Tony Tellado)
Date: 29 Sep 1997 19:35:34 GMT

STAR WARS: THE ANNOTATED SCRIPTS by Laurent Bouzerau
	Review by Tony Tellado
	Copyright 1997 Ernest Lilley SFRevu

A worthwhile addition to any Jedi knight's collection, and pretty
interesting for the rest of us, STAR WARS: THE ANNOTATED SCRIPTS delivers
more than the title promises. The book not only contains scripts from STAR
WARS, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK AND RETURN OF THE JEDI, but almost every
scene is shown with alternate treatments that show how the story evolved
along the way. George Lucas gives insight into the creation of scenes and
characters of STAR WARS that never quite were while illustrator Ralph
McQuarrie talks of how he shaped the look of STAR WARS and the various
physical changes the characters took.

Other worthy interviews are with film editors, Paul Hirsh, Richard Chew
and Duwayne Dunham; EMPIRE and JEDI Script Writer Lawrence Kasdan, EMPIRE
Director Irvin Kirschner and many others. But what would a story be
without conflict? Director Kirschner shares his disappointment with a
scene where Darth Vader was unmasked in JEDI, transformed suddenly into
kindly old man, supplanting the dark force that had stalked us through
three movies. George Lucas reveals the influences on the trilogy such as
the work of famed Japanese Director Akiro Kurosawa, and Producer Rick
McCallum gives his insights on producing the special editions with lines
from the specials added scene by scene. What emerges is not only an
entertaining book for STAR WARS fans but also an opportunity for film
buffs and students to get to see how films are shaped from draft to draft,
to the final print. STAR WARS: THE ANNOTATED SCRIPTS takes us on a
wonderful journey of story and creativity which is worth going on again
and again.

ISBN: 345-40981-7 / Del Rey Books