Subject: Review: A Case of Conscience by James Blish

From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Oct 2000 15:31:35 -0400

A Case of Conscience by James Blish
	Review Copyright (c) 2000 Aaron M. Renn

Conclusion: Recommended

If I might generalize a bit, a lot of science fiction seems to be
implicitly or explicitly hostile to religion.  This book is one of the
few, perhaps the only, science fiction book I've read that actually treats
a current-day religion with something approaching not just toleration, but
outright admiration.

Our protagonist is Father Ramon Ruiz-Sanchez, a Jesuit priest and
biologist assigned to the planet Lithia along with three others.  Their
mission?  To make a recommendation back to Earth on whether or not contact
with the planet should be allowed and if so, how much.  Lithia is notable
for having an intelligent, lizardlike species dominant there.  One that
has achieved fairly high technology - in some respects better than human
technology - despite a lack of metals.

I'd say more, but that would only spoil this wonderful book.  Blish packs
a lot great stuff into this small package.  The writing and pacing are
excellent.  The characters are strongly portrayed.  Blish does an
excellent job of throwing out tidbits about the societies that add flavor
to the book without bogging it down.  He never gives the impression that
he is engaging in scientific speculation for its own sake.  Good examples
here are the description of how the Lithians had mastered the use of
static electricity for power, and a party scene back on Earth that gives a
good flavor for some of the dysfunction of human society.  Oh, and did I
mention that the actual story is great?  Despite that fact that much of
the book is conversation or introspection, a lot happens, and very little
of it is predictable.  A real page-turner.

But best of all is Blish's character Ruiz-Sanchez.  As I said, he is both
a priest and a scientist.  This would seem to set up a story based on the
internal conflict between the two.  Instead, Father Ruiz-Sanchez manages
to embrace both simultaneously, believing that ultimately in a universe
created by God, there is no rift between faith and science.  This was
a truly compassionate and sensitive portrait I thought.

Good writing, good characters, and a good plot.  What more could you want
in a book?

A Case of Conscience won the Hugo Award for Best Novel.

%A Blish, James
%T A Case of Conscience
%I Del Rey Impact
%D 2000-09 (original publication 1958)
%G ISBN 0-345-43835-3
%P 242 pp.
%O trade paperback, US$12.00

Reviewed on 2000-10-07

-- 
Aaron M. Renn ([email-masked]) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/