Subject: Review: White Light by William Barton and Michael Capobianco

From: "Aaron M. Renn" <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Sep 1999 21:33:44 -0400

White Light by William Barton and Michael Capobianco
	Review Copyright (c) 1999 Aaron M. Renn

Conclusion: Worth Reading

This book is a strange one.  Earth is dying after a nuclear war.  A group
of largely unlikeable characters goes on a space voyage looking for a
habitable planet for humanity to migrate to.  They arrive at a system with
an alien stargate that sucks them to a system further from Earth than
anyone has ever travelled.  Then, well, I'm not sure what all happens, but
it's a lot of strange stuff.  Note that this book is loaded with
profanity, sex, and graphic sex fantasies.  I don't think that's a
horrible thing in and of itself, but in this case I think it detracts from
the story.  If Barton and Capobianco had ditched the lame characters and
the sex, and focused more on their relatively interesting ideas, I would
have liked it a lot more.  As it is, I thought this book was pretty
average.

%A Barton, William
%A Capobianco, Michael
%T White Light
%I Avon
%D 1999-08 (original publication 1998-10)
%G ISBN 0-380-79516-7
%P 343 pp.
%0 mass market paperback, US$6.99

Reviewed on 1999-08-31

-- 
Aaron M. Renn ([email-masked]) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/