Subject: Review: Eyes of the Empress by Camille Bacon-Smith

From: [email-masked] (Harriet Klausner)
Date: 07 Jul 1998 10:58:46 -0400

EYES OF THE EMPRESS by Camille Bacon-Smith
	Review Copyright 1998 Harriet Klausner

[as a review of a sequel, this can be considered to contain spoilers for
Bacon-Smith's earlier "Eye of the Demon."  --AW]

    There are seven spheres in the heavens.  Each one is ruled by an
angel, sometimes called a daemon.  None of the ruling angels want anything
to do with that abomination called Earth.  Though the two species can
mate, their offspring are insane monsters who die young.  Ironically, a
daemon can be tricked into being bound to a human as has happened to
Badad, host of Ariton, who learned about a son he was unaware even existed
until they met and felt the connection.  For four years, Evan Davis bound
his father and his cousin Lily to him so as to insure they never leave
him.
     Although circumstances force Evan to break the spell, neither Badad
nor Lily vanishes.  Instead, the trio continue with their detective agency
and uneasily work together on the disappearance of the dowager Empress'
crystal balls.  The last one that is missing, the Moon Stone was
previously on display at the nearby Philadelphia Art Museum.  It is
imperative to retrieve the missing objects because they are much more
valuable than just art.  They possess a power that might prove too strong
for two daemons and a halfling to overcome.
     The sequel to the EYE OF THE DEMON magnificently depicts the struggle
of beings beyond mortal understanding who feel more human than they would
like. Though the hybrid mating of human and daemon seem like the ideal
from two planes, bias on both sides make it difficult for the halfling.
Camille Bacon-Smith has created a brilliant urban fantasy in EYES OF THE
EMPRESS that effortlessly merges horror and mystery.  This series will
appeal to fans of both genres and anyone who wants something a bit
different.

Harriet Klausner

%T Eyes of the Empress
%A Camille Bacon-Smith
%I Daw
%D Aug 1998
%O $5.99
%P 304 pp.
%G ISBN 0-88677-796-8