Subject: Review of Patricia Anthony's _Cold Allies_

From: [email-masked] (Ken Cox)
Date: 23 Sep 93 23:42:32 GMT

COLD ALLIES
Patricia Anthony
A review by Ken Cox

Global warming has caused massive famines, particularly in already-
marginal areas such as the Middle East. Desperate for food, the
allied Arab armies invade Europe from the east and west, through
Ukraine and Spain.  The defending Europeans are slowly losing, even
with American help.  Then, strange blue lights are observed on the
battlefields -- lights that seem immune to weapons, yet sometimes
kill people and drain their blood.  Can they be used to turn the
tide of battle?

_Cold Allies_ is an expansion of the story "Blue Woofers", which
appeared in the July 1992 _Asimov's_.  That story left the questions
about the blue lights -- what are they, why do they do what they
do -- mostly unanswered.  I was therefore quite eager to read the
novel and find out these answers.

Big mistake.  Although a lot happens in _Cold Allies_, at least in
terms of tank battles and bombing raids and people dying, the blue-
light questions remain largely unresolved.  This isn't necessarily
bad (I enjoyed Clarke's _Rendezvous with Rama_, for example, and if
ever a novel left questions unanswered...), but if you're the type
of person who likes everything neatly wrapped up you probably won't
like _Cold Allies_.

(Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?)  This
is Patricia Anthony's first novel, and she shows definite potential.
The pacing and characterization are both very good.  Plot is a major
problem, with a too-abrupt ending and several unresolved story lines
(in addition to the whole business with the blue lights).  Though I
can't recommend buying _Cold Allies_, or even borrowing it unless
you're desperate for a time-filler, I'm still willing to try her
next novel.

%T Cold Allies
%A Patricia Anthony
%I Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers
%C New York
%D 1993
%G ISBN 0-15-118503-4
%P 276pp
%O hardcover, acid-free, US$21.95

Ken Cox
[email-masked]