Subject: Aaron Allston _Doc Sidhe_

From: [email-masked] (Henry Lazarus)
Date: 13 Apr 1995 14:37:22 GMT

Aaron Allston
_Doc Sidhe_
Baen (paper)
$5.99

     I really enjoyed Aaron Allston's first novel, _Galatea in 2-D_ about
a painter who could reach into his painting and bring things into the real
world. I had high expectations for his new work, and every expectation was
met. 
    Few authors can take classic characters like Doc Savage and do
something original with them. Philip Jose Farmer, for instance, had
tremendous problems working with Tarzan. Mr. Allston handles it so easily,
you wonder why anyone has problems. 
     The real problem with Doc Savage is the low level of writing in the
original pulps. I think you have to try to tackle them below a certain
age. I certainly could never read them, though I could see their appeal.
	     The supposition of Doc Sidhe is that the fairy world separated
from ours and yet somehow has grown in technology until it sort or
mirror's ours about sixty years behind. Thus Doc Sidhe can have the
blazing guns of the thirties, while being effected by iron and able to
work magic.
	    The evil plot involves an attempt to separate the links between
the two worlds which brings a kick boxer and his girl friend into the
magical world. the plot is pulpish, but never lapses into satire. It takes
everything straight and drags the reader kicking and screaming into it's
crazy world. 

Henry L Lazarus [email-masked]